Saints defense officially sucks

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Sep 20, 2009.

1. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

My thoughts exactly. As bad as our defense was last year. How can people expect us to be a top 10 defense after just 2 games? I would much rather them play like they are now and gradually improve throughout the season, than play lights out now and burnout in the playoffs. Give them time.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

They put up 250 yards at halftime. That had nothing to do with the game being out of reach.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

It was a bad showing today.

It has got to get better.

Saints defense probably about 26 right now is my guess.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Exactly. When you throw the ball 51 times in a game, your stats are going to be big. People were saying the same thing about Drew Brees last season.

5. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Saints defense did today what we were all hoping they would do. They'd either give up big plays, or make big plays. We had 2 or 3 drive killing turnovers today that either gave us points, or gave our offense a short field.

The defense is not perfect, but I'm seeing improvement. Baby steps.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

they created turnovers, which lead to points. they may give up the homerun from time to time, but the run wasn't effective.

I think this D is improving, plus they have gotten me over 25 points the last 2 weeks in fantasy football.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Right, 250 yards at halftime and we were still leading by four. Tell me, at what point does the league decide you've given up too many yards and start reversing victories? I care about one stat right now.....the one that says we're 2-0. And by the way, average margin of victory in two wins is 22 points. We beat one of the best teams in the conference today on the road by 26. What are you complaining about?

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

We're 21st overall right now (pending tonights game). We're 5th against the run. This is a good sign, though some of that will have to do with the fact that teams are playing catch-up. We'll get to see what kind of run defense we have this weekend against Buffalo.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Right. We're 28th against the pass, but....we led Detroit by 21 before anyone had a chance to overpay for their 2nd cup of Dome Foam. We led Philly most of the day and forced them to attempt 51 passes. Team ratings like this are totally based on yardage and can be very deceiving. Look beyond the numbers.....a poor ranking against the run usually means the other team is dictating the game. A poor ranking against the pass means what we see here, your opponent is playing catch up. We can certainly improve, but we're doing better than OK right now.

1 person likes this.
  10. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

The Saint's QB pressure officially sucks. The secondary is vastly improved. I literally danced when I read that Jason David was gone and we'd gotten a solid free agent like Jabari Greer. I doubt that anyone is going to disagree with me that we made an upgrade at safety as well with Sharper even if he is in his 103rd NFL season. The man can still flat out play. Vilma holds the LB corps together even if every other LB would be a second stringer on any other team (what ever happened to trying to sign Brooks?). Our D line is the only real glaring weakness. I love Hargrove and Clancy is playing better than I expected. I won't be the first or last to say that better play out of our very well compensated defensive ends would cure a lot of our ills on D. Good D-line play makes your linebackers look better and your secondary look like superstars. The defense as a whole is improved but the line is the glaring weakness.

Where are all these blitzes that Williams was supposed to bring with him? :confused: