Saints defense officially sucks

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Sep 20, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Totally unacceptable to let a mediocre inexperienced QB like Kolb put up 250 yards of offense in the first half alone (and 200 yards passing).

I had high hopes for this defense, but those hopes are being quickly dashed.

Total embarrassment.

Very depressing.

2. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Great Play by Shanle

3. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

They dont have to be GREAT...all the have to do is not LOSE games for us!

This is exception to the rules that offense wins games and defense wins championships.

Are they as good as what we all expected them to be after the Williams hire...no
    Are they better then they were last year...LIGHT YEARS better!

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well the adjustments at halftime obviously resulted in better results.

And yes the thing I said would be a major difference with this year's defense is giving the Saints a short field with turnovers. I thought it would bump us from a 28 point offense to about a 35 point offense this year. And it appears that is the case.

I still think in order to get to the next level, the defense has got to be much better than this. And I am talking about home field advantage throughout the playoffs, #1 team going into the NFC playoffs kinda level.

The offense cannot be stopped. Let's face it. A top 5 (maybe top 3) defense on the road and we were basically toying with them.

I don't want this season and this offense to be wasted again. We need to step it up on defense and get this done. 463 yards put up by an offense led by Kolb is deplorable.

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Saints D allowed 22. You predicted they would allow 20. Why the hate?

As for the final score, it was Saints 48, Eagles 22

Much better than your prediction of:
    Saints 30, Eagles 20

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

The D isn't horrible, but they don't get much rush with the front 4 and that leaves them vulnerable when they play prevent, which they do a lot.

7. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Get rid of Grant and Smith and this will be that next level d you are looking for

8. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

I've been saying that for 3 yrs now.

I think the D will get better as the year goes on. But so far in this early season, no D in the league is lights out. The Jets are the only team that looks like they have a great D.

Baltimore's giving up yds/pts, Tennessee has been dreadful, San Diego nothing, Bears nothing, etc.

If the Saints can have a top 15 D that creates TO, Saints win the Super Bowl. I think the only team that can beat the Saints is the Saints themselves.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Kolb ended up the day with a QB rating of 78-point-something. Average at best. He put up huge numbers because he was put into a situation of throwing on virtually every play in the second half, and we were playing soft, protecting a lead. The d has room to improve, but it is unquestionably better than last year.Saintslogo

10. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

You seriously need to stop the reactionary schizo posts. No, the Saints defense doesn't suck. No, the Saints defense is not the best in the league. They are probably somewhere around 20, and will work their way up as the season continues... We'll have to rely on our offense until then.

2 people like this.