Saints at 49ers--Saturday 3:30pm

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Mora inherited all of the pieces of his best front 7 except Swilling and Mills. Jackson and V. Johnson, and the on the line, Wilks, Warren, Clark, Elliot and Geathers, were all brought in during the Bum Phillips years.

No argument with any of your assessment of the current admin.'s performance.

2. mctiger

The first big play of the game. We should be looking at first and goal on the one yard line, IF the officials enforce the most talked-about rule on the books right now, and call Whitner for helmet-to-helmet. The former head of NFL officials is sitting in the FOX booth for the game, and said nothing about it. I know it doesn't matter any more, but I hope the Saints ask the league for an explanation on this one:

NFL Videos: Whitner hit causes fumble

3. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Pretty blatant for sure, and a momentum changer. Did the idiots on TV even mention that it was helmet-to-helmet???

Saintslogo

4. mctiger

Not a word.

5. Mezmorizor

Mezmorizor Founding Member

I'm pretty sure Helmet to Helmet doesn't apply to a runner, only "defenseless" receivers and quarterbacks. Stupidest rule ever in it's current state imo

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yep doesnt apply to running backs in that situation.

we got away with one on Alex Smith, helmet to helmet, and was never called. and the first interference on the 9ers was bogus.

the refs swallowed the whistle on this game and i for one, like it.

let the guys play.

although pierre was knocked the **** out. i saw it before he hit the ground. his arm stiffened out immediately. landed on his head without protecting the fall as well.

certainly cant blame the refs when the saints had zero penalties on the road.

and frisco had like 3. one was bogus.

7. mctiger

Turns out you are correct, and here's Pereira saying so:

All Sports Video - All Sports - FOX Sports on MSN

But if that's the case, the league's stated reason for the helmet-to-helmet rule -- cutting back on concussions -- is pure BS. If a quarterback standing motionless in the pocket is at risk, than certainly a moving ball carrier is at even greater risk. His motion doubles the force of the impact.

8. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I know. That was the deciding play. We had done well the down or two before with a routine defense. When I saw them up to blitz I screamed "NOOOO" at the tv. The other thing I screamed no was when we scored on the long play to Graham the series before. We needed a longer sustained drive to eat another minute off of the clock.

9. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Actually there is alot of discussion about it. The rule states no helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver. Thomas had already caught the ball and was a runner by the time he was hit, thus no flag.

Pereira: Early fumble ruling cost the New Orleans Saints crucial momentum against the San Francisco 49ers - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Editted to add: And I see MCtiger et al addressed this in a later post.

10. Mezmorizor

Mezmorizor Founding Member

Yeah, I agree 100%. It's becoming more and more obvious that all of the rule changes are about money, not player safety