Regular season

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Sep 11, 2023.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Good analysis. Totally agree

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Saints 24, Bears 17

Very mixed feelings on this one, especially considering its a win. Defense did what it's done for the past month, get pushed around for a half and then take control in the second half. Not really surprised that they struggled to contain Bagent, they always struggle with running QB's. I've said before, its not unusual for a backup to come in and give a team a short term boost, but eventually, he'll show you why he was a backup to begin with. Made Bagent look like an All Pro for 30 minutes, and then very ordinary for 30. Love how Cam stepped up in the 4th with some big plays, and Paulson Adebo had better be Defensive Player of the Week. Career day with 3 turnovers (actually 4 TO stats with 2 ints and a forced fumble, which he also recovered) and 3 passes defensed.

The neg comes from allowing just 17 points and winning the TO margin 5-0, and still having to sweat the end result all the way into the 2:00 warning. No excuse for starting 3 consecutive possessions in opposing territory in the fourth quarter, and coming away with zero points! At least PC appears to have burned the page in the playbook that demands continuous fade patterns in the red zone. Also, first game this season where the O-line didn't give up a sack.

TB and Atl lose, and we suddenly find ourselves alone in first in the division, with what should be a tougher than expected visit to Minnesota up next.

kcal likes this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You want to talk about a coach that needs firing

fanatic likes this.
  4. mctiger

Yep, amazing how clueless DA continues to be. Can't fault him too much for having trouble with Dobbs; there's not much tape on him to scout, and the thing they knew he is very good at - escaping and running - they seemed to be prepared for in terms of scheme, just not enough speed in the front line to stop the guy. What's frustrating is that its 5 straight weeks the defense has gotten its collective ass handed to it in the first half, and play really well in the second. Why can't the defense be ready from the opening kick? But offense continues to be the bugaboo. The thing they should have learned about themselves in two consecutive wins is that the offense is better when Taysom gets 10 or more snaps at QB. Think they gave him 2 Sunday. And Carr is so freaking timid with the ball - remarkable how receivers suddenly got open downfield when JW came in the game. That said, someone needed to calm him down; he played the entire fourth quarter like there were 1:00 remaining. He took waaay too many unnecessary chances with the ball, and it has to be said that the interception he threw really cost us a shot at completing the comeback, and was a chance that did not need to be taken. He was in full gunslinger mode, and someone - DA?, PC? - should have slowed him down.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. fanatic

On that last pick, Perry was wide open at around the 15 yard line, but he was so intent on going for it all that he missed him and the rest is history.

6. mctiger

Thomas and Lattimore definitely out this week at Atl. Carr remains in concussion protocol, but could get the green light. I honestly would like to see a healthy Winston get the start and see how different the offense looks

kcal likes this.
  7. fanatic

Fire the staff. Start Jaemis next week.

8. mctiger

Heard this line on the radio, so I can't claim it, but I do agree with it: I love the Saints, but I hate this team.

fanatic likes this.
  9. fanatic

Zero fun to watch

10. mctiger

What sucks personally is that I have luxury box tickets, along with my dad and my brothers, for the Giants game in a few weeks and not even looking forward to it.