Reggie Bush- Mr. Underappreciated

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by jrfayard, Aug 21, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i would say after this season if he doesn't cross the goal line 10 times, i would consider him a bust. Why would anyone want the guy to fail? Just watch him, he is doing just fine with that on his own. For the number 2 overall pick in the draft, and the money that was spent, the amount of fumbles, not trying to pick up tough yards, running out of bounds, etc etc.

2. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I'll agree that we haven't gotten an acceptable return on our investment. But, a few things to consider:

1) He's helping the offense put points on the board, maybe not directly, but indirectly.

2) What's the cap hit of getting rid of him? What team would be willing to trade away a starting DT, CB, whomever for him (which is all I'd really accept for him) in a trade?

3) He's not losing games for us, which is most important. He may not be playing up to his contract, but there is nothing that can be done right now. If he's contributing to the offense and not causing us to lose games, I'm happy.

4) We've played one game this season. Remember that he missed the last several weeks of last season, as well as three preseason games. Let's see what he does over the first quarter/half of the season before finally passing judgement.

Eventually, if he's still not playing up to his potential, then the Saints need to make a decision to renegotiate, trade, or straight up release him. But that's not going to happen this season, so as long as he's contributing, I say give the guy a break.

Just my 2 cents.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

you are right about the possible cap hit, and the fact that the saints probably don't get back what they invested if they trade him now. as far as not losing games for us, if he starts coughing up the ball against the giants, philly, atlanta, carolina, the patriots, its going to end up costing the saints games. Those 55 yards today that he gained, i am fairly confident, that if Bush didn't play today, it wouldn't have effected the score board. The part about him not playing up to his potential, the question is, when do you realize this was a poor investment, lets cut bait and get as much as we can for him, or do we just wait it out until he becomes a free agent? Thats assuming he doesn't just come out of his shell and become the player everyone thought he was going to be of course. Do you think his value is diminishing, if so, when do you think he would be considered a bust? I don't think he is so far, i just think his stock is on the decline.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I want to see what he can do when he's 1) completely healthy and 2) utilized properly, i.e. not as a between the tackles running back. He showed flashes of what he's capable of as a fully healthy back his rookie year. If he goes this year completely healthy but doesn't play up to his potential, then I may concede that it's time to start shopping him.

Until then, I'm not losing faith. Saintslogo

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I watched the replay of the Eagles game, and I have to say that Reggie actually had a pretty damn good game (he looked awful on punt returns, however).

He made that 30 yard pass gain on that all important TD drive just before the half.

Then the run off tackle for 18 into the endzone. There were other pass plays sprinkled in where he got us a crucial first down and even a couple of first downs running the ball effectively outside as well. Also saw a couple of effective decoys.

All in all, i would grade his play a B vs Philly.

Reggie will be alright. He will make his plays and make this offense that much more unstoppable.

6. LSU_Fan_In_OK

LSU_Fan_In_OK Founding Member

If reggie scores a 100 touchdowns this season would yall still be bitching about him?

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I don't bitch much at him, I bitch more at Payton not using him correctly.

8. LSU_Fan_In_OK

LSU_Fan_In_OK Founding Member

I agree he should be given the ball in more space

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Thank you, thank you, oh thank you for someone who gets it. I could not believe the people who were blasting Bush for almost getting a safety Sunday. The ball never should have been in his hands! The situation called for a blast up the middle....those should have been Heath Evans carries. Why blame Bush for that?

10. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Saying Reggie Bush is a bust is a typical myopic pessimistic Saints fan. I personally think it makes you sound ignorant of NFL football. I love the Saints but why cant our fans be more rational and reasonable?

Ryan Leaf was a draft bust. Tony Mandarich was a draft bust. Reggie Bush may be a disappointment, and maybe a big one to some people. He may be an underachiever if you are judging by his draft position and contract value, but the has brought real and indisputable benefits to the Saints both tangible and intangible. There may be any number of players drafted after he was that in hindsight (it's usually 20/20 you know) may have been better or more logical picks. I can agree with that. But to say he's a bust is just silly.