Reggie Bush- Mr. Underappreciated

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by jrfayard, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

You're right....we didn't need him. But the reason I'm replying to your post is b/c I want to thank you for serving our country. Now (9/11) would be as good a time as any to thank you for your service. Thank you and God bless you and your family!:usaflagwa

:thumb::911:

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok here is a link to the 2006 draft.

National Football League: NFL Draft History Full Draft

at the time, bush was the logical pick. If you take a running back, you either go Bush, DeAngelo Williams, or Joseph Addai. At the time Bush was the logical choice, he had no injury problems at the time, and had some much media love it was pathetic. DeAngelo Williams has turned out to be a great back, but Pac-10 conference gets more respect than Conference USA, even though Williams broke alot of records at Memphis. Joe Addai, well of course us LSU fans would rather have Addai than Bush at the time, but it still wasn't a logical choice at that time. Addai at this point has had the better career in my opinion, but he is also suffering from injury problems, and the thing the draft guru's were saying was that he tends to fall down alot.

Just be glad you aren't a cowboys fan because their first pick of that draft was Bobby Carpenter, who has been a bust of monumental proportions.

If Bush can get healty, and stop missing because of chipped fingernails as Buddy Songy would say, he is a weapon in space. I think the Saints should do with him what the Eagles are doing with Vick. Get him back, get him healthy, get his value up, and deal him away, when his stock is the highest, assuming that he will get back to where he was in 06.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Young and Addai have essentially been one-year wonders. Young even moreso, and I would argue that his Pro Bowl selection was more a case of voters getting caught in the hype than a deserved honor. Hawk has been a good LB, but if you want to compare him directly to Bush in terms of getting return for the value of a pick (Hawk was either 4th or 5th selection, don't remember which), I would argue that Hawk's only advantage over Bush has been durability.

I still feel the biggest issue in Bush's career so far has been that of misuse. The Saints have tried putting him in one-back, 2 tight end formations and running him between the tackles. That's like the Red Sox putting David Ortiz at leadoff hitter and asking him to bunt his way on and steal second. Bush is a home run hitter. They're keep asking him to learn to be patient and take 4 yards when he can get it, and that's just not his nature. He needs to be put in situations where he can swing for the fences. Let Pierre Thomas and Mike Bell run between the tackles.

4. mctiger

Yes, Buddy Songy is THE authority on sports injuries and how they affect players (insert sarcasm emoticon here).

5. LaSalleAve

i thought it was funny. trust me i don't put any stock into what Buddy says, i unfortunately listen because there is nothing else to listen too at work, except dallas sports radio, and its football season so i have to listen to a station that talks mainly about LSU.

You can't deny Bush has been injury prone. He may be a home run hitter, but he is no Pujoles. If you look back at that draft there are about 10-15 players i would rather have than Reggie Bush. But, we had no way of knowing that on the clock with pick number 2 in 2006.

6. mctiger

Pujoles is Barry Sanders.

7. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Man, 7 carries for 14 yards and 2 fumbles, while a free agent running back went 28 carries for 143 yards. Reggie is definitely not a bust.

I take everything back.

8. LaSalleAve

Bust, not yet, but he is well on his way. Is he worth the money he is paid. To this point, absolutely not. He isn't even needed on this team, thats what the sad thing is. Brees could turn Xavier Carter into a legit receiver in the NFL, Bush needs to be traded to a struggling offensive team for cash, draft pick, defensive tackle, or corner back.

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Just wanted to remind you guys how this started and why I named 10 guys who I would possibly trade straight up for Bush today.

Bush was definitely the best/right/proper pick. No one can honestly dispute that they were upset about the pick

It was a stretch, no doubt. The point is that he has not produced more than a lot of guys who got drafted after him. I still think he was the pick. You couldn't pass on him and the Saints may not be in New Orleans if he hadn't been drafted.

I wouldn't. No way in the world. You're actually saying you would rather have Bush over Deangelo Williams. Surely you're kidding.

Defintely. Saints had to draft him, but that's not what I was talking about and what you were asking me about.

Me too, What a game!!!

So this brings up a good point. When is a guy officially a bust. This is his fourth season. As an RB, he reallly only has three or four left if you look at the average at the position and his size. Of course, we all know he'll never be an every down back. So when does he become a bust. After this season? One more? Two more?

10. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I guess his 5 catches for 55 yards did nothing to help the offense out or setup any TDs.

Gosh, it's almost like y'all just want the guy to fail. He didn't have a great game and he WILL have to take care of his fumbles, but I wouldn't want to trade him away. I don't think he ever really put this team in a position to lose today.