Reggie Bush- Mr. Underappreciated

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by jrfayard, Aug 21, 2009.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Better late than never.....

I would start with the 8 guys who have made the pro bowl from the first round that since they were drafted:

1. Mario Williams
    2. Vince Young - I cringe to even type this but he did make a pro bowl
    3. Jay Cutler
    4. Antonio Cromartie
    5. Davin Joseph
    6. Deangelo Williams
    7. Nick Mangold
    8. Joseph Addai

Some of those may be a stretch but Reggie isn't even an every down back yet. All of the above guys have made at least one pro bowl

I would put the other two as

9. AJ Hawk
    10. Ernie Sims

I may be reaching but not really. If you respond please give me another two and a half weeks to get back to you.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

see i came up with the same names, but....... no one at the time could have known that those players would have ended up being better than Bush. Bush was the best pick at the time. Maybe Mangold or Cromartie could have been selected before because of their position, but, hindsight.

3. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Well...without Pierre Thomas and Jamaal Brown, I guess we'll get to see what Bush can do. If he returns punts and catches short passes he may have a good day.

If we try to force the ball to him and expect him to run up the middle, we may even have a problem scoring againsy lowly Detroit.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I gotta disagree with a few of those. Sure, Vince Young may have made a Pro Bowl, but he lost his starting job to the third oldest QB in the league. Cutler has not panned out as well as everyone thought he would. We didn't need QBs, we had Brees, remember? Can't really argue with some of those other picks - though I don't think AJ Hawk has been terribly impressive with the Packers.

Look, in all honesty, the Saints would've been foolish to not take Bush. Before the draft, it was acknowledged that he couldn't be an every-down back in the NFL, but for some reason, people kept hyping it. Bush had a pretty good rookie season if you put it in perspective. Last season he was having his best year yet before he got injured.

I would still draft him, knowing what I know now. If anything, him being on the field forces the other team to gameplan around him. With all the other playmakers on our offense, that's the best weapon we could ask for.

5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Agreed. Could you imagine the backlash if the Saints would have picked anyone else besides Bush with the #2 pick? The Saints fanbase would have experienced a meltdown of monumental proportions (a meltdown that I would have been a part of).

The Saints made the right move drafting Bush with the #2 overall pick. Any of you who think otherwise do not know diick about football.

Hindsight is 20/20. Reggie Bush is a Saint and I'm glad that he is.

That is all.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

3400 yds, 20 TDs in year 2
    4500 yds, 25 TDs in year 3 and a trip to the Pro-Bowl

exactly how much better than that was he expected to pan out?

7. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

The Saints made the right move when they selected Bush.

The Saints gained a lot of attention by selecting Bush.

Bush is a great punt returner.

Bush is a good receiver.

Bush is a decent running back.

Bush is appreciated.

Bush is not a star. (he could be, but currently he isn't)(what he accomplished in college doesn't equate to squat in the NFL)

I hope he has a great season and becomes what many predicted he would be. If he repeats his performance from the past two years, we probably need to trade him and move on.

I think he caused a lot of problems for defenses his rookie season. Since then, I don't think he has had a great impact on the defenses.

This is the NFL...NOT the Pac-1.

8. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Hmm, you got me there! He did throw a bunch of interceptions and had more than a few fumbles, but statistically I guess you're right. I guess I was thinking more of his "professional development" and fallout with the Broncos.

I still standby my statement that we didn't need him with Drew Brees as our starter.

1 person likes this.
  9. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

The Texans faced some backlash, but it turned out to be the smarter move. Look at the backlash that McNabb received, and again, it was the smarter move. Imagine if the Eagles would have drafted Akili Smith to keep the fans happy.

If the Saints would have been smart and traded down and gotten more for that pick, we could possibly have a Cromartie and/or Deangelo. Instead, we got Reggie Puss.

It was "stupid" for the Texans to pass on Bush, and look how that turned out. Most people said the Colts were "stupid" for passing on Ryan Leaf. Supposedly, Leaf had the better arm and more upside.

We need to trade Bush for the 5th rounder that he is worth.

Face it, Reggie is the modern version of Archie Griffin - an amazing college player who translates into an average NFL player. #2 overall picks should do more than return punts, get blown up when shoelace and arm tackled, and stay injured. This is why he is indeed a bust.

10. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Can't say that I agree with you there at all. Sure, he has not lived up to the ridiculous expectations that were bestowed upon him (I don't seem to remember Reggie coming in the league and guaranteeing anything), but he is no bust. Like I said earlier, just him being on the field makes the Saints offense that much better, whether they throw it to him or not, because defenses have to focus on him. If they don't, he's shown at this level what he can do. If they do, Drew Brees has shown he can put it in somebody else's hands and succeed. Either way, Bush is a tremendous asset. You're telling me you'd rather a 5th round draft pick - a player who I'll bet historically has a slim chance of making the final roster - over that?