Radical Islamic Terrorist attack on gay nightclub in Orlando (50 killed, 53 injured)

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Jun 12, 2016.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You've fallen into one of the anti-gun crowd's traps, assuming that because this guy got his guns legally, it somehow enabled him to commit mass murder. This massacre wasn't committed by guns, it was committed by a maniac who was desperate to kill. Had the gun not been legally available he would have obtained it illegally, or else gone on line and found instructions on how to build an IED. Gun laws do not deter law breakers.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

How would a "better" background check have stopped the Orlando shooter or the San Berdoo killer? Neither had broken a law. The Orlando shooter had legally obtained his guns and was licensed. A 3-day waiting period wouldn't stop or slow down mass killers in any way whatsoever.

Democrats are frothing at the mouth to deny gun purchases to people on watch lists. But the vast majority of those on watch lists are not US citizens and can't buy guns anyway. The others are people who have not been convicted of anything, and some names are there in error. You are suggesting that we deny them their Constitutional rights to own a gun simply because they are on "a list". And here I thought it was the Right that was guilty of profiling. Funny how rights are so flexible all of a sudden.

3. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

Not true and missing the point. Laws do deter law breakers and have since the dawn of law. Just because it can't deter them ALL, doesn't mean it can't deter as many as possible. It's common sense.

4. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

It certainly could and would not hurt honest citizens or cost much. So what do you propose as an alternative? Doing nothing?

I have said nothing at all about Democrats or denying gun purchases to people. The one frothing at the mouth here is you.

I said nothing about "a list". Nor did I deny any Constitutional rights. Why don't you address my comments? The Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms. It does not guarantee any right to have a purchase slightly delayed in order for much better criminal/mental health background checks to be conducted for the good of the nation. It is a common-sense law enforcement, national security, and gun safety measure that infringes nobody's rights. There is no Constitutional right to be impatient.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Let's say I want a gun to protect myself from a stalker or an ex who was threatening me. On the 2nd day of my "wait", he breaks into my house and shoots me because I have nothing to defend myself with other than the little piece of paper that says Order of Protection. Your turn....

The entire purpose of the Bill of Rights is not to grant or deny rights to people, but, rather, to restrict the actions of the government with respect to the ones the people already have.

Tell you what, since we already have laws on the books prohibiting the killing of another person, why don't we just enforce a waiting period before a killer actually cocks the trigger and shoots? I mean if only the Orlando killer had just wandered through Pulse with his guns telling everyone he'd be back in 3 days, it would all be awesome.

What about your proposal would have stopped THIS killer from doing what he did? The San Berdoo killer? For God's sake, the asshole in Orlando had a wife who KNEW he was going to do something but she kept quiet. And you think a law is going to slow this shit down?

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Of course it wont. They don't understand and by the time they realize what I'd going on it will be too late

7. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

You are cherry-picking an instance that you made fit your scenario. I am talking about national goals to make it harder for felons, the mentally ill, and terrorists to obtain weaponry across the board. What is wrong with that? No measure will prevent all crime, but doing nothing will prevent nothing.

The Bill of Rights does not grant rights? Seriously? And what does this have to do with what I said anyway? The 2nd amendment grants citizens the right to bear arms and form a militia. Yes it does, read it. It does NOT grant the right for felons, children, foreigners, and crazies to purchase any weapon on demand and without any restrictions.

Cherrypicking again. I'm not talking about this instance, I am talking about broader issues. It would stop other killers. And I'm talking about taking some action rather than taking no action at all. Still waiting for your solution.

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

I think maybe they should allow women to buy guns anytime they want. Women never shoot anyone.

I know this policy is bigoted against men, but that's because I am a raging feminist.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What if you are the defenseless cherry that gets picked?

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Cars kill more people than guns. You liberals should focus on banning cars. Or do you guys not care about lives?