Predicting Trump's cabinet and other appointments

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Nov 12, 2016.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Right...like LA's district 2, gerrymandered to ensure a minority candidate (read: Democrat) gets elected. Notice how the northernmost portion of the district doesn't even have geographic contact with the rest.
    [​IMG]

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

wanna start citing all the republican ones? It may take you a lot longer.

3. mctiger

I'll admit, I don't follow district gerrymandering around the US; I know of the one here because I live here. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't favor only one party.

4. LaSalleAve

It does favor one party, but I will say if democrats were better at it they would damn sure use it to their advantage as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...efited-republicans-more-than-democrats-2017-6

The problem is any change will automically benefit the democrats because let's face it, more people in this country align with their beliefs, maybe not fiscally but damn sure socially. Republicans are prudes. Democrats are pussies.

5. mctiger

Interesting....the article sites 6 "battleground states...with significant Republican advantage", all swayed, supposedly, by Republicans drawing the political maps in 2010. So why didn't it swing the 2012 Presidential election? 5 of those 6 states went to Obama. More to the point - and I'm going to hammer the "double standard" every time I see it - why didn't the AP feel it necessary to do an article explaining away the results of the 2012 election? They didn't give a damn about gerrymandering until it supposedly cost Dems.

6. LaSalleAve

Maybe they did. Did you search for one?

7. mctiger

nope, I know a waste of time when I see one.

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Here is the abomination where I grew up and first voted. This was one of two "majority minority" districts created in NC. By the Democrats by the way. This district, NC-12, was redrawn by the GOP in 2016, but they Gerrymandered the hell out of other districts.

They are all swine!

[​IMG]

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Gerrymandering is a bipartisan sport. The democrats gerrymandered the republicans into permanent minority status in California. Remember Reagan was governor as were other republicans and they held other state offices even one house of the legislature as late as the 90's I think. Too bad they rushed into it as it would have happened anyway.
    There are plenty of other examples in Illinois and other states. However the democrats neglected state races and republicans focused on them. Now they own 35 states either with governors and/or one or both houses. They also seem to have better computers and a much more wide ranging membership (they won 2/3 of the counties last year
    Besides gerrymandering the democrats out of congress it has decimated their bench. There is no democrat of status such that Bernie at what nearly 80 and NO democrat BTW is the hope in 2020.

10. LaSalleAve