Place your bets .......

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Don Castavez, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I wrote this in another thread.
    “I am doubting if it will only be Woodward and Tate making the decision. Where do you think the $17 MM for the buyout came from. No way the university or state state could fund it. $17MM probably bought the high rollers in TAF a front row seat at the table when the decision is made.”
    This is why I doubt that the final decision will be a PC hire.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

A very interesting take for sure. I'm not discrediting it but I'm not sure it holds as much water as you might think. Who is going to pay the salary for said coach? Remember this is Woodwards legacy hire, I'm not sure he will leave it up to the TAF. Perhaps they sort of work together and I can see that but I don't think he would say "Okay boys, go find me the coach you want and we will sign him"

3. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Not saying TAF would lead the selection process, but suggesting that Woodward would want to build a consensus with his be boss (Tate) and those holding the purse strings. The new coaches pay will be paid with athletic department funds (same as Oeaux was), but the buyout would not be possible without the outside funds. I seriously doubt that they would just hand it over. They paid to be in the loop.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Urban not coming . Says bars here don't have enough room for grinding

furduknfish likes this.
  5. Don Castavez

Has Biden ever coached? Never mind , he couldn't remember if he had.

6. Don Castavez

Try 6 or 7. Legislature would be like monkeys throwing crap at each other this spring if
    that actually goes down.

7. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

You need to check your timelines. Woodman didn’t hire Willingham or Sumlin, but he did fire both of them.

8. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I know these names keep coming up but;
    I don't think Jimbo is coming; we may up his pay a mil a year but I can't see us guaranteeing $100 million, because its stupid. When I first heard it I thought it was an Aggie joke. Scott must have known he was leaving and wouldn't be stuck with the contract if it all went bad.
    I don't think Franklin is coming; I don't think we are his kind of place; I think he ends up at USC . . or stays at Penn St
    I don't think Kiffin is coming; because I can't see him as a guy Woodward wants to spend a lot of time with
    I can see Fickle staying put if they make the playoffs this year - which they have a solid chance of doing

So I think its down to Aranda, Napier or Tucker - And I think Aranda is going to see life is better where he is rather than following Texas and OK to the SEC West. I think end up with Tucker or Napier. I think its a big step up for both of them - but they can grow into the job pretty fast. They both have been groomed by some of the best

9. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Just my guess, but no way in hell does Kiffin turn down LSU & big market to stay at Ole Miss. But I agree 100% with your reasoning. Kiffin does jerky, douchey things, seemly for no particular reason at times. Could see Woodward passing on him. His Tweet congratulating O on the big win just hours before it was announced O was fired, tells me Kiffin either hasn't been contacted / in the LSU loop or he was trolling O bigtime.

If they pass on Aranda for the 2nd time, or he doesn't want the job, seems like we'd almost have to take Tucker. I have nothing against Napier, got a great record. But it's a Huge jump from the Sunbelt Conference to Power 5 SEC school. On the other hand, he makes $2 million & Tucker makes $5.5 million. Would be a far easier pull.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think napier is a top 3 candidate. i dont think tucker is. i told shane it just feels like dumbo and that was before watching him squirm now i really think its him. hes scotts buddy who have unfinished business since last time fell thru. mighta been the long plan after all? jumbos refusal to say it directly tells me something is up. i think arandas boring but the best of the lot.

Swerved and Perple like this.