Penn State, loss of institutional control and the death penalty

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Wildcard, Nov 10, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, if an NCAA rule was broken then all of this would apply. Instead a law was broken and the courts will handle it.

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

That's not a black eye, that's career-ending brain damage.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/933077-penn-state-scandal-why-ncaa-should-consider-the-death-penalty-for-psu

"Head coach Joe Paterno was told about it the day after it happened by Mike McQueary, a graduate assistant coach who testified that he went into the locker room one Friday night and heard rhythmic slapping noises. He looked into the showers and saw a naked boy about 10 years old 'with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky,'" according to the grand jury report.
    Paterno then informed the athletic director Tim Curley about what he had heard, and Curley, along with Gary Schultz, advised Sandusky not to bring children around the football building.

That's it.

Sounds like lack of institutional control to me.

4. Zackardo

Zackardo Founding Member

2.1 THE PRINCIPLE OF INSTITUTIONALCONTROL AND RESPONSIBILITY [*]
    2.1.1 Responsibility for Control. [*] It is the responsibility of each member institution to control its intercollegiate
    athletics program in compliance with the rules and regulations of the Association
    . The institution’s
    president or chancellor is responsible for the administration of all aspects of the athletics program, including approval
    of the budget and audit of all expenditures. (Revised: 3/8/06)
    2.1.2 Scope of Responsibility. [*] The institution’s responsibility for the conduct of its intercollegiate athletics
    program includes responsibility for the actions of its staff members and for the actions of any other individual
    or organization engaged in activities promoting the athletics interests of the institution.

By their definition, institutional control applies to the rules of the NCAA. So you still have to come up with a NCAA regulation that has been broken before you allege LoIC.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I understand. It is a lack of institutional control to allow crimes to happen by their staff.

By what I'm saying is the the NCAA Lack of Institutional Control rule applies only to the breaking of NCAA rules.

The last thing we need from the notoriously unfair, uneven, and vindictive NCAA is to give them any authority of anything at all outside of their own rules and their own members.

I would not object if Penn State University decided to have a one-year moratorium on football. But give that power to the NCAA and it is only a matter of time before they misuse it.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I will look up, but it also applies to PSU's program policies, which I am sure rape in the showers is covered.....

7. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

that we know of so far

8. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

:eek:

9. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Red is right here: the controlling authority is the DA and courts, not the NCAA.

That said, if I were the guy in charge at Penn State, they would not play football this weekend or for a long time afterward.

GEAUX TIGERS.

10. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I understand what you're saying but what about the poor kids playing ball? The seniors trying to get a shot in the draft? They did nothing. Why hurt yet another kid, a college kid this time. Not letting them play will not change what happened or will happen. I feel your anger and disgust but not playing won't help. All the coaches involved should not be there. All the money collected should go towards helping the victims that were raped. Every one of them should atleast have a scolly at Penn state. It will be hard to prove you were raped ten years ago with no proof. I hope they all get money in court but how do you prove it. Except for the kids that others witnessed being raped, how would they prove in court they were raped ?