Panchos

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by macatak911, Dec 8, 2006.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

cheap tex mex is the best hang over food, hands down! pancho's is easily the greatest place for a hangover meal ever known to man. or okie.

2. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

only thing i remember from pancho's is the sopapillas. Those were good when you were drunk.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

It's not only when you're drunk or hung over that Pancho's is memorable...it's when you bring your family and kids.

Some of the most memorable meals I've ever had were at Pancho's. A couple of my sisters-in-law and their husbands and kids would get together with my family several times a year there and it was always a special occasion. The kids were excited about the ice cream bar with all the sprinkles and there was the beer for the grownups. We'd sit there for hours just being an extended family. And all this family togetherness happened for very little "peso" expenditure. Quite memorable occasions they were.

That's the difference between eating and dining. If you wanted to just eat, you could get the same quality food in the frozen section of WalMart, bring it home, microwave it, and eat it off the coffee table in front of the idiot box.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This is true. My favorite Pancho's memory is one time in college when my parents and I went to the one on Nicholson.

After stuffing ourselves unmercifully, my dad looked at the flagpole and said, "The next time we raise that flag, it'll be to surrender." It was spoken with a straight face and makes me laugh any time I think about it.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They definitely lost money on me in college. All you can eat for $1.49? Uh huh.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Finally, I ate at the new Panchos. Frankly, I like the old cafeteria line better than the buffet because there are WAY too many unsupervised kids. And honestly, the food quality seems to have gone down, although all the old favorites were still there. The Chile RIllenos are tiny--about a third the size of the old ones. The green chile stew is very good, though. and the sopapillas haven't changed.

I like El Maguy Mexican Buffet on Siegen much better. It's a place where half the customers are Mexicans wearing new jeans, big belt buckles and cowboy hats.

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

El Magey is where I go as well. Demographics tells you everything you need to know.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Dude raise the flag, they should change the slogan to "lower the seat".

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i have never seen a mexican buffet. here every place is just a sit down and order restaurant. the closest i have seen is the old pancho's cafeteria style line when i lived in br.

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

If you are ever in a town with a Rudy's Bar-B-Q try their green chile stew. Pretty decent.