News P Derek Helton

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by huangw, Jul 31, 2008.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Re: per Rival, LSU just landed a kicker Derek Helton

LSU doesnt do that, do they? sounds like something Tubberville or Petrino would do?

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Scholarships are given on a year by year basis. We typically do not take them away for lack of athletic progress though. But kicker may be a different situation considering the limited numbers.

3. New2LSU

New2LSU Freshman

I'm the newest LSU fan. I went to high school with Derek, and he's a good kid. On the football field, surprisingly enough, he was our best receiver senior year. He's got a good work ethic and I know he won't dissapoint. Read the conditions for his all KJCAA confrence Special teams for the 2nd week...we come from a high school of 300, so this is the biggest deal to happen from our school. I know he'll do good.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Welcome to Tiger Country and Tigerforums. I am glad we got your friend in this class and look forward to his development here at LSU.

With that in mind, can you give us some more details on his punting style and numbers given there is not a ton of info on punters on recruiting sites?

Some have questions about his 36yd average this year in JUCO. Is he relied on heavily for directional punts to the sidelines or high kicks to give the coverage team a chance to make the tackles downfield?

I saw some camp video on him and he looks to have a great leg but the stats this year leave questions. I do know his season long is 57yds this year so there has to be another side to the stats.

5. New2LSU

New2LSU Freshman

I haven't seen him punt since high school, but from what I can tell, he just hits a lot of hang time, and makes use of his direction. His numbers were a little worse last year, so he's improved on that part so far, and he's still regarded as one of the best. Now, with a 36 yard average, if he's getting recruited by a Top 10 football school in the nation, what's THAT tell you of his average and height?

6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Welcome to the board. Congrats to both Helton and your school. Any reason for the low average? Is the line weak and getting pressure on kicks or does field position on the kicks factor in? I loved his camp stats just why the low average lately?

I am thrilled with the punting performance from Dalfrey coming off a bad spring. Auburn alone he punted six times for a 48.3-yard average. He has gotten the bounce geaux his way a lot. Some insane kicks over Miss St.
    :tigereye:

7. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Helton is averaging less than 40 yards a kick right now. Don't know the circumstances, but you'd expect a 3 star JUCO punter committed to LSU to maybe be performing a little more impressively. Of course, I have no clue about placement and hang time.

8. LSUFan1950

LSUFan1950 Founding Member

When did Scout start putting the Stars on the kickers? Derek Helton is a three star.

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

UL got a 3-star kicker a few years ago... they are usually rated 2 star though...

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Three star is reserved for the elite kickers and punters.

Obviously rivals sees the same thing the coaching staff sees in this kid.

I hope so, because we really don't have anyone stepping up to take over next year after Dalfrey leaves.