One of the largest grassroots protests and "This...is CNN"

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I backed Bush when I thought he was right. I definately did not like his semi-socializing of some banks.

2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Bush was definately not cut from the mold of Reagan who would have never semi-socialized the banks. Yes, Bush was a conservative but moved away from conservative principles when he bailed out the financial institutions. The fact that other Republicans voted for the bailout only proves my point. But many congressional Republicans began moving away from conservative principles long before that. Rather than changing the system, they changed were changed by it.

I have generally given him a pass on the deficit because of the war. Anytime we are engaged in a war the budget is going to take a hit. But deficit spending is clearly not a Republican principle which was why I was not particularly happy over the bailouts. I felt other options should have been looked at before making that decision. If no other options existed, the banks and other financial institutions (with the exception of AIG) should have been allowed to declare chapter 11 bankruptcy. AIG is the exception because so many European banks were tied to the hip with it.

3. Andouille

Andouille Guest

Thats the problem. You have to get past whats "good for you" and back to what's "right". Most American's pay no income tax and that's not right. Every American needs to share in the responsibly of paying for our government. Wealthy American's pay a hugely disproportionate amount of the taxes of this country. They make a lot but their tax burden is even greater. They are the ones that risk their capitol for new business. That create companies that hire people.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's also not true. According to the Tax Policy Center the number of 0% tax payers is 19.7%.

Those are people with incomes so low, often widows and retirees, that the standard deduction that you and I and everyone else is entitled to . . . is greater than the 10% rate they would otherwise owe.

I know Hannity is out there throwing this number around, but it has already been shot down. Hannity ignored payroll taxes to claim nearly 50% don't pay taxes

You want to know who is paying little or no taxes? Corporations.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Here comes lie number 2 million.

6. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Again, where was your outrage last year?

Your just raging against Obama, you hate everything he stands for.

At least be intellectually honest.

7. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Except Bush didn't even include the war in his spending. He kept the war "off the books" Why? My thought is that he couldn't have continued to give massive tax cuts to the wealthiest if the huge cost of the war was added to the already growing deficit.

The biggest reason the neo-cons supported Bush and the war so strongly was because the only people sacraficing was the soldiers and their families. If the chicken hawks would have had to make some sacrificies, then they make not have been so pro war.

8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Question fool...If us "soldiers and our families" are the only ones sacrificing...why did the overwhelming majority of us support Bush and the war?

And, just to set the record straight, we're not "pro war". You may be anti-war, but the opposite does not describe the right. We are pro-freedom and pro-American. If promoting freedom and America means going to war, then so be it. There are plenty of us willing to sacrifice so the likes of you can sit at home and do nothing.

Also, you obviously have no idea what a "neo-con" is so don't use the term to describe me or others like me.

9. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Several of us on here are on the record as being very critical of Bush during his presidency. The threads and post are on here...look 'em up. The idea that we can support a party without blindly supporting everything they say or everyone they elect is apparently above your comprehension level.

10. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

Corporations don't have to pay taxes if they operate at a loss. Seeing as almost any small business will operate as a Corporation for liability reasons, and these are most likely to fail, then the 50% numbers make sense.

The successful corporations are paying out of their butts in tax, because America has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. That is why they export their operations overseas, and the tax revenues that went with them.

Even the corporations that operate at a loss and are exempt from taxes, make up for it by paying employees, who pay income and other taxes.

If the govt was really serious about stimulating the economy, they would've drastically slashed the corporate tax rates.