Official WORLD CUP Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

Re: United States Vs England-World Cup 1:30pm CST

how did you guess? my sports... Soccer and Football. I have no real need for anything else.

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

You know, I was thinking the same. I did not grow up in a soccer family, but we are in the generation of the "soccer mom". We have a really high percentage of our kids that are being raised playing soccer. I think given another generation or two, you will start to see the US compete better against the world because soccer is getting more and more exposure.

I turned to my wife yesterday and said, "I know why soccer can't be successful in the US. You have to go the entire half without a commercial! Businesses won't support it!"

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

The MLS teams are required under the contract they signed to join the league that they have to create youth academies to help cultivate a talent base. Basically they can make little leagues teams with chosen talent and grow them into a farm team for the parent. Once they can grow some very good home talent and they can show that this talent can have a well paid professional future, then you will see the National Team get stronger and stronger and eventually be consistently in the top 10 in the world.

TV wise, that was a big deal in the late 90's. Surprisingly they actually do pretty well on ad-revenue during broadcasts.

Soccer is doing well enough that ESPN just announced that they will air ~100 English league games on sat morning/sunday mornings starting this fall. They are closing up shop on all the ESPN outdoor shows and will be airing 1 to 3 games a weekend.

4. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjWi663kXc[/media]

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

OK, I watched most of the game.

Even though the Germans scored 4 goals, they appear to be a methodical, grind-it-out, conservative team. Sort of like their national personality.

The red card appeared to be a BS call. Do soccer fans bitch about the officiating like all other sports?

Thanks again to all who offered insight. It definitely helped.:thumb:

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

There is bitching, but the level of officiating in soccer/football is well above the level we see in American football. The simpler rules of the game probably help.

8. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

yes the red card was BS. Yes they do bitch, unfortunately so do the players sometimes.

If you want a lot of national team games/world cups you will start seems that national teams mirror their national stereotype for lack of a better word.

Germany -- methodical, controlled, relentless. rather win than look good
    Brazil -- all personal flair. rather look good than win.
    France -- pompous
    US -- early America. all hard work and heart, not so much talent. an amalgam of different styles
    etc

you will also find that in general, South Americans are more individualistic and European teams are more team based.

glad you enjoyed the game.

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I hate France and I haven't even seen 'em play. :hihi:

10. ashaman24

ashaman24 Maastricht, Netherlands

the germans are methodical and are known for playing as a team rather than individual glory hence their nickname Die Mannschaft (the team)

they seem to play best when they are discounted. this year they lack an attacking superstar, but are still very solid all around even with Ballack(team captain) injured.

And also germany is really on it's third best goal keeper as it's number 1 killed himself this past year and then the new number 1 had a rib injury and couldn't come to the world cup.

right now i would say germany has looked the best out the teams that have played so far, but they might be because they played a weak australia.

My personal opinion(biased) is that The Netherlands will have the best team (watch them against Denmark tomorrow) They easily have the best attack out of all the teams, but could have some questions on defense. their is a saying that 31 teams go to the world cup to win and 1(the netherlands) go to show the rest of the world what beautiful style they play. which doesn't always translate into wins.