Official WORLD CUP Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Jun 12, 2010.

1. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

Re: United States Vs England-World Cup 1:30pm CST

I tried to watch the match yesterday but eventually changed the channel because it was just to boring to watch. It's like watching a disturbed ant pile in slow motion.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

The circus was great. :wave:

3. ashaman24

ashaman24 Maastricht, Netherlands

Oh great, encourage your kid to play a bar room sport rather than one that they would actually get some exercise. No wonder our country has over a third of it's people obese.

People don't play soccer because they are scared to get hurt playing a "real" sport. Or maybe they are to scared to poke an eye out in a real sport like pool. Alot of injuries have happened to many soccer superstars in the past few weeks leading up to the world cup...how in the hell that happen in this pussy sport??

Play stopping all the damn time is the biggest gripe any soccer fan has against american football. A game with an hour on the clock that can last 4 hours is ridiculous.

There are things that are annoying about soccer, but it's still a good sport. I hope one day it will become more popular in the US over baseball or hockey.

But to act like soccer is un-american or un-patriotic is stupid. If you don't like the game, that's fine. Just come up with some better arguments.

1 person likes this.
  4. martin

martin Banned Forever

soccer is not a pussy sport. you are much more likely to get hurt playing soccer than baseball.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I'm with you on this one bhelm. The year we hosted the Cup I resolved to sit and watch a few games start to finish and try to figure out the appeal. Now I get it; not to the point that I will watch league play, but I enjoy the World Cup, and will definitely watch the USA games with an appreciation for how the game is played. If you try to relate what happens to analogies from football (passing, tackling, etc), you realize it is not just 20 guys kicking a ball around a big field.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

--STOP!! All credibility lost at this point.

1 person likes this.
  7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Soccer people told me for years that once I learned the game I would love it. Well I made the effort, learned the game, and it is not appealing to me. In fact after learning it, I like it even less. Soccer may one day supplant soccer as the top sport that no one in America cares about, but it is a boring game which will never catch on here.

I am of the opinion that if soccer mattered we would already be better than the Europeans.

The one thing I like is that some of the major leagues in Europe will demote a team to a lower league and promote a team from the lower league based on performance. It would be pretty cool if the NBA or MLB did that.

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Then what is it? There is obviously strategy and tactics involved but it isn't readily apparent. At least to me.

9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I always enjoyed watching women's soccer during the olympics.

10. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

That is kinda how I looked at it...but then I watched the 2nd half of the game yesterday and started to see strategies form. I also started to notice that we have no idea how to maintain possession of the ball and every time England got around our goalie, we just sat there and watched until homeboy Rooney took a shot. By the end of the game I found myself getting annoyed at our lack of aggressiveness.