Official WORLD CUP Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Jun 12, 2010.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Re: United States Vs England-World Cup 1:30pm CST

I had no use for soccer before we moved to N Texas. It is the biggest rec sport here. After attending practices and games for my girls for the last 9 years, I have really come to appreciate it as a sport.

The difference in it and any of the American sports is that we didn't grow up with it. That said, think about it from the perspective of opportunities for kids to play. No special equipment needed. A field and a ball and you have an opportunity to get kids involved. Soccer has been great for my kids.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Very true...

I started learning about the sport at an early age but only played on a team for a little bit. I had a next door neighbor who was a great soccer player growing up and he made his own goal in this back yard that was HS regulation and that was a daily activity. I stuck with football and basketball and he ended up playing for the Baton Rouge Bombers.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i wanna hear more about the crawfish.:grin:

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Your kid's time would be better spent learning to shoot pool (which I would rather watch on TV than soccer)

I agree with Richard Condon when he said the only way soccer would be fun to watch would be if the playing field was planted with land mines

Soccer is the embodiment of the pussificacion of America. Soccer moms don't want to let little Johnny risk bruising a knee or an elbow playing football. What about basketball? A court and a ball are all that you need for a hoops game too. And Basketball is a real sport.

Where is the freakin' excitement in a game that goes on for 90 minutes and ends up in a 1-1 tie? And the ESPN talking heads act like its a victory for the USA. In the words of Les Miles, Did they not fail to finish first?

And what is it with the clock continuing to run when the ball goes out of bounds or
    when the refs give somebody a red card or a yellow card. Maybe they should be taking away the foreign players green cards instead. Deport them on the spot.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

6. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

wow for someone who hates the sport, you sure spent enough time reading this thread and writing this diatribe about it. I would answer you questions but you don't really care so what is the point.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Why do you two come to every thread about soccer and say the same sh!t? Be original for once. If you don't like the thread, stay the phuck out. We get it, soccer sucks, it's for girls and homos, and anybody who likes soccer is a retard. You two have posted it fifteen times.

Let the rest of us have a discussion about the most popular sport in the world. :thumb:

Pretty good game really. When the US kept possession they were really creating some dangerous situations. Very inconsistent though. England could move the ball at will when they got pissed. a little luck on the goal but we had other opportunities that were very unlucky so it evens out. Tim Howard was easily the man of the match.

8. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I agree on the MOTM to Howard. Our Defense has to stop ball watching. Ricardo Clark caused that goal by drifting into the center and letting Stevie G get behind and then inside of him.

I also think Clark should be replaced with Torres. Torres has much more talent with holding and distributing the ball.The would solve the inconsistency problems.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I played soccer and football competitively in high school and soccer by far is the more difficult sport. It's really not even close. By far it's more exciting to watch than baseball, which I love to watch.

They allow ties because it's still group play and they use points to determine who moves forward.

Just because you don't understand the game doesn't mean it's boring. When Americans become a team that is expected to qualify for the World Cup Finals, we'll see more interest from America. It's rare that we support sports that we don't dominate, which is why no one gives a **** about the Winter Olympics and only recently started really caring about hockey in the last decade or so.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I don't hate soccer and I do watch several World Cup matches but, it'll never grow on me because the defenses are too good and you never expect a score. In reality, it's very boring as a TV sport.