Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is no offense in soccer. I don't see why players as skilled as that guy from Portugal who set up the tying goal against the USA can't do that and score at least a few times a game. It's like if Chris Paul only were to have one assists in a game or if LeBron James were to be held to a single basket.
    Soccer is like every team has a defense like the 70's Steelers Steel Curtain

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Almost every game has been exciting as hell. I don't know what you are watching.

3. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

So now that I am on current standard time...USA did not deserve to win. Your goalie will eventually let one by if you can't get the ball. Wondolowski nearly stole the win for the USA. That kid Julian Green, who scored the lone goal...he is 18. Deandre Yeldin, who came in for Fabian Johnson when he pulled up lame...he is 20. John Brooks, who scored the winning goal against Ghana...he is 21.

Klinsmann left Donovan off the roster for these guys. The future looks bright.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hockey has a much smaller goal and a goalie but scores of 5-4 and 6-5 are not uncommon

5. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

USA spent every game with negative possession. They need to learn the first touch and the pass. Altidore's injury screwed the line up. Dempsey had to play striker and that is not his position. Bradley was dismal in center midfield this Cup. We need a new 'quarterback'

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

A hockey puck travels about 3 times the speed of a soccer kick. Not to mention the playing surface for hockey is tiny compared to a soccer pitch, which, most people don't realize, is much bigger than a football field.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  7. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

In group stages the talent level from team to team varies and we had a goal scoring tally that hasn't been duplicated since 1959. In the knock out rounds the teams become much more closely matched and you don't see teams taking many chances. It does become a cautious game. The lone goal on a counter attack could spell doom. Many teams play 4 back, a defensive midfield, and counter on a mistake. That is boring soccer.

Belgium owned the ball and and were sending their left back, Jan Vertonghen, deep into the attacking area. USA did not have an answer for this. Belgium could have scored 5 goals if not for Tim Howard. Too bad he won't be with USA in 4 years.

TMI, I know. Just getting it off my chest.

8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

One last evening note, and my son and I were marveled at this when he came in against Portugal, Deandre Yeldin. Who does he resemble? I'll give you a hint. His nickname is Honey Badger. With a resemblance like that, he has got to be great. Remember, he is only 20 years old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. LaSalleAve

Bradley isn't an attacking midfielder, if you watched him he was basically playing 2 positions, there were many plays where he had to scale the entire field. It's fair to criticize him but I think he is much better served as a defending midfielder, instead of the "quarterback" as you put it. So yeah I agree with everything you said, and yes we did almost steal one, the problem w the US is possession, skill, and technique. I also agree this team will be better in 4 years but we will have some key positions to replace.

10. LaSalleAve

Man and I really don't like hockey. To me soccer is much more interesting. And I'm not really a premier league guy, I may watch Manchester U, or Arsenal, Chelsea or Tottenham, but I don't watch it much, I absolutely love the World Cup because IMO it's the greatest sporting tournament in the world and nothing comes close, not even the NFL playoffs, in fact I would put march madness and college baseball post season over the NFL playoffs.

ParadiseiNC likes this.