Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Jun 12, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You can't watch on the watch espn app at work? That's how I caught France today.

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Yeah, I can't suck the bandwidth. That shit draws attention. They did put the USA vs Germany match on the big screen in the cafeteria. I couldn't ignore life from 11 am until I got home so I didn't even bother. My son is a soccer nut anyway. If he can promise to go off the grid for a few hours, then so can I... and we can have a game together. If USA wins, its one of those things we will talk about when I am old and senile.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I said it was going to be a coin toss for Swiss/Argentina game and it was. Only 2 minutes from the biggest coin toss in sports...Penalty Kicks and the Swiss almost came back and scored after that on 3 occasions. One of those games where nothing really happened until the last 2 minutes in extra time. I wanted a USA/Argentina match. This will be one of the very few times I will root against Argentina if it happens.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I did that for US Algeria last year and celebrated 6 hours after everyone already knew. It was great. It will be harder this time around though. No TV, no radio, and for god's sake, no social media.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Watching a keeper attempt a bicycle kick was fun.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

That was an agonizing loss. Had a chance to win it in regulation off the Jones pass to Wondolowski, but couldn't convert. Then the beautiful play off the free kick that got Dempsey point blank in front of the goal to tie, but their 'keeper stoned him. If we had won, Tim Howard's game would be talked about for decades; he was unbelievable. But absolutely no offense to back him up today.

8. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

If it wasn't for Tim Howard we would have lost 300-0, I have to admit I got into it and I'm a little upset the USA isn't the best at it, I mean we beat Ghana and that's it. I'll go back to counting Saturdays till real football begins. USA in 4 years!

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Man Tim Howard was unreal, he played out of his mind, we just didn't have the weapons, or the overall skill. The heart and the drive and the adjustments were there, just not enough. The loss of Jozy was huge, but really it was the midfield that couldn't control the ball. But no other team out works this team. Heartbreaking loss. US team should be proud though.

Wondolowski will never forgive himself. That's Scott Norwood territory.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Wasted one of the greatest goalie performances in World Cup history.

If only we had scored that goal at about the 92 minute mark. The dude had the ball on his foot close in and missed his chance.

I have to admit, I can easily see why soccer is the #1 sport in the world. It is passion filled like no other sport. It has all the frustrations in the world to make it quite compelling.