Off-season talk

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Feb 15, 2013.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I know the bounty scandal is history, but I found this interesting. Was on saintsreport.com the other night. They have a library of Saints games uploaded to the 'net. So I was watching a Saints/Lions game from the early 90's, and the TV announcer talks about how the Lions secondary had a weekly pool. Each would chip in a few bucks, and the money would go to the player they decided had made the biggest hit of the week. So 20 years ago, this kind of program was not only acceptable, they would even talk freely about it to the media? Now it gets your coach suspended for a year. Times have changed, haven't they?

Richdog likes this.
  2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

The thing that gets me is that no other team or player has come out and said the Saints were a dirty team. Back in '09, we were middle of the pack in personal fouls. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. And, speaking of talking freely in the media, the during the '09 playoff run, the Saints defense spoke openly about how they were going to attack the Cardinals, Vikings, and Colts; which was to go after the QB and no one said a thing about it. Hell, Gregg Williams even mentioned the 'remember me' shots on Manning the week of the SB and no one had a problem with it.

Anyway, like you said, all this has been hashed out a billion times and it's behind us now, but I just had to add one more rant, one last time.

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

My son met Drew Brees and got a pic with him yesterday at camp. Got him to sign a football and everything!

KyleK likes this.
  4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

cool!

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Saints sign veteran WR Steve Breaston today. 255 catches in 7 seasons with the Chiefs and Cardinals.

6. Cajun Sensation

WR Joe Morgan is out for season with an ACL and DE Kenyon Coleman is also out of season (pec)

7. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

After the first preseason game, my takeaways are:

Hicks might do a decent job filling in on the line.
    I'm pretty confident with McCown at backup QB. He looked poised and sharp in the game.
    Stills looks like he may do well as a fill in for Morgan. Other than the one drop he looked good.
    I have no clue what's going on at linebacker or his they'll make a 3-4 work with the guys on the roster.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Is he a burner? I admit, I don't know much about him, except that he went to Chokelahoma. With Morgan out for the year and Devery gone, the concern is that we have no deep threat with speed. Is Stills the guy?

9. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Yes he's supposed to be the guy to fill that role. He's one of the fastest receivers on the team (4.36) but he needs to develop his hands. He had one catch, one drop, one fumble, one offensive PI penalty. It wasn't quite as bad as it sounds. But he ran with the starters.

10. Cajun Sensation

Saints sign former Cowboys WR Patrick Crayton