October Ball: MLB Playoffs

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Dirt Dog, Oct 1, 2006.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

johnny U played for the O's?

me and my fellow dis-Astros fans would like to thank you and peter angelos for turning down roy oswalt, morgan ensberg and/or adam everett for an overrated and aging steroid-less tejada.

oswalt the only b2b 20 game winner in forever is worth more than tejada and i would have seriously considered turning in my astros membership card if it had went down.

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Thanks for the reminder.

I went to both games at that '92 ALCS here on Oaktown, and I remember the Alomar HR in the clincher
    in the top'o'the 9th off the Eck well... :po:

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Damn straight. #19 with the high tops, baby. Johnny U WAS the MAN.

Don't you remember when he beat the Giants in '58 on national TV what is generally considered the greatest game in baseball history?

When he knocked in Alan Ameche in the bottom of the 10th off Frank Gifford after Raymond Berry's great catch in the top of that inning?

You're welcome, and an oh by the way you're welcome for one of the single worst trades in baseball history
    that the O's GAVE IT UP to the 'Stros:

January 1991: Glenn Davis for Curt Schilling, Steve Finley, and Pete Harnisch.

The first guy is maybe HOF. the second was a 2 time All Star, 5 Gold Gloves, and won a WS in AZ (with Schilling) in '01, and the last won 100 games in the bigs.

Glenn Davis absolutely SUCKED as soon as he came to Baltimore -
    24 HR in 3 years with a .246 BA. Not bad for a guy that made $3M+ EVERY STINKIN' YEAR HE WAS WITH THE O's.

Yeah, I'm STILL pissed.

Generally agreed.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yes Alomar, clearly headed for the hall of fame, went caput after he went over to the Mets.

Now he is a borderline inductee. I would vote him in.

5. areed7

areed7 Founding Member

That was the most incredible catch ive ever seen... Likely a season killer for the Cards.

Regardless... what a good competitive series by both teams and what a series by Suppan and Perez. Still a chance for St. Louis.... but that catch was an emotional killer

6. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Randolph runs out to the mound to see if Perez can keep pitching and gets the ok. Looks like he just made a mistake when Rolen connects on a 2-run HR.....only to be stolen by Chavez who makes a helluva grab then doubles up Edmonds to end the inning.

What a turn of emotion in just a matter of seconds.

7. islstl

Harnisch was one of my favorite pitchers at that time....he couldn't quite get over the hump to being one of the elite pitchers. Also, Mark Portugal was definitely an underrated pitcher and was a joy to watch, with an assortment of pitches. 18-4 with a 2.77 ERA in 1993. Not sure what happened to that team, with Drabek, Harnisch, Swindell, Portugal and Kile in the starting rotation, worst ERA of the bunch was 4.16. Drabek was 9-18 with a 3.79 ERA. Typical Astros style of poor run support. I think that was the year we won a bunch of games only to lose the division to the Reds with no wildcard at the time. We returned the favor in 99, if I am not mistaken.

Sad thing about that trade is we gave up on Schilling and Finley too early as well. Really hurt our team in the mid 90s not to have those 2 guys.

8. islstl

Definitely a mistake to leave in Rolen. But he got away with it.

I think that's the best catch I have ever seen under the circumstances. What hops by Chavez.

Thank goodness Floyd is hurt...lol

9. islstl

The GMs are looking like geniuses right about now.

Perez and Weaver...who'd a thunk it.

Hats off to Suppan. Didn't think he had another great performance in him. He's 2 innings away from a possible NLCS MVP (as Cardinal fans on this board shriek in terror of me jinxing their beloved team).

10. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

McCarver just said that due to the light rain, ground balls could be very wet. :eek:

Thanks for the insight Timmy Boy!

martin, where u at?