October Ball: MLB Playoffs

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Dirt Dog, Oct 1, 2006.

1. areed7

areed7 Founding Member

They already did win on the road... the game Carp started.

Pujols is truly one of the great guys in the game. His community service record and his foundations have done so much not only for the StL community but for his home in the Dominican. He is constantly doing charity events in his off days (during the reg season) and this Glavine thing is the first time I've seen him lose his cool.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well I meant I didn't think they had a chance to win either of these last 2 road games. But yes, if the Mets lose this series, they will have to wonder "what if" about that game 2 meltdown in which they blasted Carpenter and still lost.

3. islstl

Keys to winning the series for the Mets:

Maine has got to go 6 strong tonite. Limit the bullpen to only 3 innings of closing work (hopefully they have at least a 1 run lead going into the 7th). Let Heilman go 2 and Wagner pitch the 9th.

Game 7, it's a bullpen game. Darren Oliver or Oliver Perez for 2, Feliciano for 1, Bradford for 1, Glavine for 1, Hernandez for 1, Mota for 1, Heilman for 1, Wagner to close.

Glavine gets the win to tie Smoltz all time in the post season.

4. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

:dis:

Wow, you got it all figured out huh??? I just don't see that happening. It may, but I doubt it.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I generally cut islstl some slack. Although he's been pretty much a disgruntled fan as of the end of the Astros season. Sometimes his analysis of games is dead on but more often than not it's nothing more than forum fluff.

Guess we'll find out later tonight won't we?

At the very least though, he's someone who really enjoys and understands baseball. So that alone makes his most of his posts worth a read.

Geaux 'Cards!

6. islstl

Yes obviously my posts are a bit skewed based on my extreme hated of the evil empire Cardinals.....but Cardinal fans should be proud of such disdain, I would think.

As Cardinal fans, I know you can't be holding out ANY hope in the World Series, are you?

Mets don't stand a chance, either, for that matter. I think even Martin can agree with that assessment.

It's just that much more frustrating to see the ineptitude on the NL side of the playoffs, knowing my Astros would have made it to another WS. Problem with the Stros is we don't have a legit GM anymore. Poo-poo-rah is clueless.

On the flipside, congrats to Jeffery Weaver. Dude is coming up big. He's gonna get PAID. What a time to get hot on a national stage. And then he will suck for the rest of his career after some sucker of an organization pays him all that money. It happens all too often.

7. islstl

John Maine reminds me so much of a couple of players that came up thru the Astros farm system....Redding and Elarton

both have good stuff but neither has an out pitch....so they keep throwing these damn 2 strike pitches...very frustrating to watch....glad both are gone

Redding is out of baseball or in the minors at best....Elarton is hangin on for dear life (despite a really good year at Cleveland a couple of years ago).

Also, Young from the Padres (Gomer Pyle look-a-like). He has the same problem...can't get much more than 5 or 6 IP at times....unless he is really on his game. He is successful, however, so far. He just wont log very much more than 10-12 wins a season though. He's a perfect fit for SD, as they have one of the best bullpens in baseball. He also hasnt had a loss on the road in over a year and half....pretty remarkable.

These guys just cant seem to pitch to contact enough.

8. islstl

Not sure what it is about Carpenter and the road this season.

But he aint close to the same pitcher. And St. Louis is a very friendly hitters park. So the numbers he put up this year are astounding, actually. His ERA was near 1.50 before gettin bombed in his last home start of the regular season.

San Diego must be wondering what the hell happened with us in the first game of the Cardinal series. Why didn't we get to him? Uh, because you suck.

9. islstl

Molina is a fantastic catcher and has definitely foiled the Mets running game in this series, which was a big part of their offense this season

10. islstl

Maine delivers what the doctor ordered tonite

Now its up to the bullpen to do its part.

A game 7 will be some kind of chest match. Look for Suppan to get hit hard early. Its will be the "bullpen game".