Notre Dame loses: Weis now on the hotseat

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Nov 22, 2008.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

John, we're getting off the point here,but I have to address someof your points about the Catholic faith:

1) Saying the rosary is so 1950's. It is also relevant in our lives today.I am a Catholic who has been attending Protestant bible studies devoutly for years. I know that"praying to Mary" is controversial.It is Catholic theology that teaches that salvation is a free and undeserved gift from God That can be accepted only through Jesus who is the way ,the truth, and the life.All prayer is heard by God.The hail Mary is a request That Mary prays for us to her Son Jesus now and at the moment of death.Much like I would ask for you to pray for me.This is called intercessory prayer and is done constantly by all Christians all the time. It's OK if you don't feel comfortable sayng the rosary, but please pray constantly in your own heartfelt way-God is listening.

2) The test of a Catholic is going to church Sunday. The true test of a Catholic is (and all Christians for that matter) is do they truly have faith.Do they truly believe in the gospel that Jesus was born of the virgin Mary,Suffered, died and arose from the dead for our salvation.At the mass Catholics renew our acceptance of the gift of salvation,and unite ourselves now at this time with His singular death and resurrection as part of the new and everlasting covenant. He gave us His life and we give him ours because salvation is through Him with Him and in Him.

3) The Catholic church is a tribe, a clan. The Church is the mystical body of Christ composed of all the truly faithful.It includes and excludes people of all earthly denominations and religions. It is only through true faith that we can participate in this body and become part of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Since you brought up these points I had to address them.Lets get back to Tiger nation for a moment. Please, if you or anyone else wants to respond to this, Tiger forums is probably not the place. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or come by my restaurant and see me at the Abita Springs Cafe.

Play ball, and besides isn't his name Nick satan anyway. Just kidding Nick, thank you for all you've done for us!!! Sounds like both of us are proud to be Catholics.

2. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Never seen or heard a word about this. If she is unhappy she is doing a good job covering it up. She's basically turned into a tuscaloosa soccer mom and social queen. A real lady about town. Not what you would call the signs of someone unhappy.

Saban's reputation can not take another hit like that and he knows it. Maybe in 2 or 3 years but not now.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

When I find myself in times of trouble
    Mother Mary comes to me
    Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

History, plus money, plus popularity, plus the Catholic tradition, plus a lot of things. As for the Catholic thing: The Catholic Church has more followers in the United States than any other denomination. I'm a knowledgable guy and I don't even know what denomination Baylor or Wake is, if any. But everybody knows ND is Catholic and the greatness of ND is a source of pride to many Catholics, because the Catholic tradition is a source of pride to Notre Dame itself. Touchdown Jesus overlooks the stadium. Check out their weight-room, how they built it to resemble a church:

[​IMG]

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Baylor is a BIG TIME private baptist school. I thought most people knew that.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Most do. :lol:

7. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

From John and Paul....not the Apostles - the Beatles

Though it wasn't really written as a religious reference.

Works here, though! :geaux:

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I was replying to the guy that doesn't believe Saban is a proud Catholic. Yes, of course Mary and the Rosary are important to Catholics, but that doesn't mean Catholics pray the Rosary every night. But I wouldn't be surprised if Saban said an Our Father and some Hail Mary prayers each night. Notre Dame is French for "Our Lady," the school is named after Mary and a statue of Mary overlooks the campus from atop the golden dome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I seriously doubt that most people in the US know Baylor is a Baptist school.

10. BayouIrish

BayouIrish Founding Member

For what it's worth, my Catholic faith has/had nothing to do w/ me becoming an Irish fan growing up in the middle of tiger country. They just happend to be in the first college football game I remember going to when I was 10 years old, and it kind of just grew from there. This was going on even w/ both of my parents being huge tiger fans.
    That's just how it works out some times.