Notre Dame loses: Weis now on the hotseat

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Nov 22, 2008.

1. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Urban Meyer would be their number 1 target.

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Saw this article on Rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...AonrvmNWA3QX6sKxKpXlHEscvrYF?urn=ncaaf,125511

it says:

"the Irish look like they've regressed well beyond the point of no return. They look like San Jose State."

The article also cites anti-Weis quotes from local sportswriters from the South Bend Tribune, the Chicago Tribune, and the Chicago Sun-Times -- and concludes: "All of them, along with everyone else with a forum the last two weeks, assumes Weis will probably be fired if the mysterious buyout doesn't pose too large a hurdle."

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

ND is #1 on the Forbes list of richest programs each and every year. They are also #1 in every U.S. poll regarding our favorite college football team. ND has had that lucratic contract with NBC to show all their home games for many years. Saint Nick is a devout Catholic, might even have grown up as a huge ND fan. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Saban go to ND, and ND pay him $8 to $10 milllion a year. Saban's brand of traditional football -- controlling the line of scrimmage, strong running game, strong D -- are all a perfect fit at ND (unlike Urban Meyer's new age show).

4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Well we'll see what two staright losses (SECCG, Sugar Bowl) do to his loyalty in Tuscaloosa. Several places he could run to, as i said he was ready to jump ship before the end of first full season there to go to WVU.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Possibly a stretch.

Why didnt he? Bill Stewart a better coach?

6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Not sure why, but the link I posted earlier showed confirmation where Sabans agents had contacted WVU last december in regards to their open position.

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Probably wanted to rekindle that special relationship he had with Pat White iyam. BFF imo.

8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Even Saban isnt greedy enough or stupid enough to flirt with the idea of going to ND at this point. Urban Meyer is their number 1 target "if" phat azz gets fired. Mark it down.

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I discussed my Nick Saban to ND theory elsewhere here on TF, including the "Washington Coaching Rumors: UW might be interested in Miles" thread.

There, I pointed out that:

Nick Saban is a devout Catholic. In Baton Rouge, he and his family went to St. Aloysius:

Father Gerald Burns is the pastor at St. Aloysius Catholic Church in Baton Rouge, which the Sabans attended while they lived here. He sometimes presided over services before LSU games when Saban was the coach and counts among his prized possessions a 2003 BCS championship ring. Burns remembers Saban, who was in Miami at the time, being the first person to call to see how he could help after Hurricane Katrina. The pastor planned to tell that personal story to a men's meeting at the church Thursday night and to suggest that his parishioners see Saban in that light when they greet him Saturday in Tiger Stadium.
    http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/bi...l=2&thispage=6

In Tuscaloosa, he has a Catholic church that he goes to as well, I've seen Bama fans that say they see him in church there all the time.

In a June 23, 2005 article by AP Sports Writer Tim Reynolds, he reported that Saban (a Croatian), took his family to visit Croatia, and it said that "the proud Catholic attended Mass."

Go look at Saban's myspace page: Catholic.

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I agree with you. The fact that Sabans wife has made comments about not being happy in Tuscaloosa, the fact that Saban himself has said numerous times on national tv that he regrets leaving BR and the fact that he was ready leave town before his 1st anniversary in Tuscaloosa, all point to his inevitbale departure from Bama. And as I said, two back to back losses to end his so called perfect season could be the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak.
    Not to mention with the rich tradition, the constant losing and his attatchment to the catholic church and then the money... ND makes perfect sense for him. Hell he could very realistically keep his job for years even with 7-5, or 8-4 or 9-3 seasons, but with the talent they pull just for being ND he's have them winning some good games fairly quickly.