Notre Dame loses: Weis now on the hotseat

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Nov 22, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I actually grew up liking the teams coached by Ara Parsegian. I was a Notre Dame fan early on.

2. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Most college football fans do.

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

That makes no sense. How is Baylor relevant to college football fans? I know they had Mike Singletary, and they have a good QB this year, but that's about it. I don't even sure what Baylor's mascot is. The Bears?

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

FWIW, I thought it was common knowledge that Baylor is a Baptist school--perhaps not as strongly as the way people know ND is a Catholic school, but fairly common knowledge, nonetheless.

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Does not compute

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

False.

You implied he was would go to Notre Dame because he is a Devout Catholic.

Thats probably the last reason Nick would choose a school. An ego doesnt have a religious preference.

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

The ego thing plays right into Nick going to ND, even just from the Catholic angle. What could be greater than a great Catholic coach going to the great Catholic football program as it's Savior? And the Catholic angle is just one angle that could be used to stroke Nick's ego. Add the fact that ND is the most popular and the richest college football program in the United States, add the fact that it is the only college football team in the US that has a contract with a major network to have all their home games shown on broadcast TV, add ND's unbelievable football tradition and history, etc.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Charlie Weis is Catholic. I bet they would just like to not suck anymore.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's the same reason why there are so many Cowboy, Steeler, Dolphin and, yes, Yankee fans. It's called Bandwagon jumping.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

To me, the biggest argument that Saban would not go to ND, is that Bama gave Saban a great deal of power over their football program, and I don't know if ND is willing to do that like Bama was.

I've read this before:

Unlike the other programs on our list [of most valuable college football programs], Notre Dame's athletic department operates under the umbrella of the university and is not run as its own distinct entity. As a result, a much higher share of profits are retained by university for academic use.
    http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball.html

Also, back when Holtz retired as ND coach at age 59, I remember something about how it had to do with disputes with the school's adminstration regarding the way he wanted to run things.

After retiring from ND, Holtz did go to a public school in the SEC, South Carolina, where was coach from 1999-2004.