NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME-Saints Vs Vikings Sunday 1/24 5:40pm

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Jan 17, 2010.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

They've won the NFC Championship for the first time in their 42 year history. They will play in their first Super Bowl. How can it be over hyped? We may be relegated to the Minnesotas and Buffalos of the world if we get there and can't win it but at least we are now removed from the Lions and Browns loser lists.

Edit: I notice I used "we" so I guess I'm officially back on the bandwagon. :)

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Overhyped? Not in the least, because its the FIRST time. No comparing with Minnesota or Buffalo, they've had 4 shots each without winning.

Just curious, gumbo...how old are you?

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

eggsactly.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

in a way its a bigger deal for the fans and city than the players. the players havent even been alive 42 yrs. what player has been part of the saints the longest? stinchcomb? henderson? i dont think there are any long-suffering players here.

just thinking out loud. i dont hold it against them. this is natural i suppose. i wonder how well teams have played in their franchises first SB? i does seem like that there is some sort of breaking-in that often needs to be done with a team (not necessarily a franchise). i do know that many recently have lost---arizona, carolina, seattle, atlanta.

old enough to remember the paper bags if thats what you mean.

fans' jubilation is warranted. thats not what im talking about, perhaps i wasnt clear. my outlook on the super bowl would be more positive had not the team gone so nuts about the win (im not talking about just after the kick. you go nuts about that even if its game 3).

i wonder how the colts were after their win.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

what the players ARE old enough to remember, and many experienced themselves, is what the city and so many fans went through just four years ago.

this team means a lot to the fans and the city. benson may have initially wanted to move, but the players seemed to understand they gave the fans there something to hope for. in a sense, this team rebuilt right along with the city. i think that is the bond that the players know they have with their fans. i think the players know what the team means to the city. brees and payton touched on that in their speeches. they knew that in the past four years they have given a lot of fans something to hope for and now they have delivered to the point of just one more step.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

ok. but to me the celebration seemed more like "we made it" than "just one more step"

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

we made it to the super bowl. somewhere this team has never been. i think they know they have one more step, but it is also clear they know they have delivered something the fans of this team have NEVER seen!

remember how we felt when we got into the ncg in 07? same thing. joy, jubilation, incredible pride. yes, there was that game to be played and won, but just getting there was a huge accomplishment. remember seeing the reactions of the team when they were gathered and it was made official? remember how happy they were? just as they should have been.

and last night the saints took it into over time and battled for the win. they have every right to be estatic and celebrating. i suspect it will be down to business now. but for gods sake, dont take away that they were celebrating just getting there. its ok to celebrate "making it".

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

There's a lot of fans who go back far beyond the paper bags, myself included, but that's pretty good history you're carrying.

And I get what you're saying about the players, but for all but one or two, its their first Super Bowl as well. You've got to allow them to enjoy the moment. If they haven't settled down and put on their business faces by, say, Wednesday, then i think there's cause for concern. But I don't think they'll have that problem.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Favre on the ground,
    Favre on the ground,
    Vikings gonna lose,
    with Favre on the ground
    Turf in his mouth,
    helmet turned sideways,
    lookn' like a fool,
    like a Favre on the ground!

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

not bad but i think its mouf.

57.9 million viewers of last nights game. unbelievable.

most watched non-superbowl program since 1998 seinfeld finale.