New Saints coach

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by gumborue, Jan 17, 2006.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Benson cares about Benson. If the Saints are making money without winning, he's happy . If losing cuts into his coffers he'll take action. This year the widespread apathy toward the team convinced him that he needs to give the impression of giving a damn about Ws and Ls. I'd like to jump him in early December and ask him what the Saints record is. He'd likely have to look to one of his minions for help. I put him right up there with OBL as far as wasting valuable earth space.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Benson keeps firing non winning coaches for two reasons, #1 being that he keeps hiring non winning coaches and #2 because the stadium is empty and he needs butts in the seats to make more $$$$$. It the same every time, Benson hires new coach and fans get excited start filling the stadium. Next Benson raises the ticket prices because tickets are now in demand. Then after 2 or 3 losing seasons the stands start to empty again. After 4 or 5 losing seasons and a near empty stadium Benson fires yet another non winning coach. Benson takes short cuts and goes the cheap route, he refuses to spend the money it takes to hire a qualified front office. He could care less about winning, it's all about the money for him.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Sorry, but I disagree. It is one thing to not like the way he has managed the Saints, but it is quite another to say he does not care about winning. If criticism is to be credible, it must be fair and reasonable. To say any owner of a sports franchise does not care about winning is just plain unreasonable.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I agree that Benson does not like to part with his money and tries to win on the cheap. But there is one way for a team owner in the NFL to make money, and it is not by losing. Benson's big problem is he is a very poor judge of talent. Hopefully the law of averages will catch up to him. The biggest problem with the Saints since its first season has not been on the field; it has been in the front office. But to say Benson does not care about winning is ridiculous. He just does not know how to go about it.

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

His record as owner speaks volumes about his want for a winner

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The proof is in the pudding, my friend. We've had the worst defense in the league for 3 seasons running, yet there's Venturi running it every year. We see inexcusable collapses at year end for 3 years running and there's the same cast of characters every pre season. He fires Meuller because he got rid of Ricky Williams,who was under the worst contract in the history of pro sports (read: less money to the player, more money to Benson). His motto is " Even if it's broke, don't fix it unless it starts to cost me money."

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Bengal Buddy, I have to disagree with you. Just because you think it's unreasonable for a sports franchise owner to not care about winning, doesn't mean that he cares. It's not a matter of bad luck or lack of good judgment. It's a matter of a different focus. His focus isn't on winning, it's on making money. Many owners chose winning as a way to make money. Benson sees that New Orleans has loyal fans & he continues to make money even when he doesn't win, so he takes that route.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

If he cared about winning he would hire someone that does. Benson is no dummy he is a multimillionaire worth hundreds of millions. He knows how to make good business hires and has the connections to find anyone he needs in the business world. He has the same ability in football operations, the world is his oyster but the business man he is has found that he can make more money selling a loser. Benson has had the saints for quite some time and has found a formula that works for the business man in him. I hope the new coach takes the saints to the top of the heap to stay, but as long as Benson is the owner I'm not holding my breath.

9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Thus far, there has been no reason for Benson to build the Saints into a winning franchise, because their idiot fans revel in failure and ineptitude. Kinda like Cubs fans.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

thats the thing, the saints never had a problem with empty seats during all that losing. they supported that team too much in fact which spoiled benson. now hes getting a taste of what he shoulda tasted years ago.

benson spends money, he just doesnt care enough to look where he's throwing it.