New Saints coach

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by gumborue, Jan 17, 2006.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Yes! That is definitely very surprising. I fully expected the Saints to interview candidates for a couple more weeks while other teams continued to make hires.

One thing Saints fans can expect form this coach: LOTS of 'coachspeak'. When he is interviewed he says a lot yet actually says nothing at all.

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I like the sig, 99

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Sean Payton hired as Saints headcoach

On ESPN now...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2296797

NEW ORLEANS -- Sean Payton, for three seasons a quarterbacks coach with the Dallas Cowboys, was introduced Wednesday as the new head coach for the New Orleans Saints, a team likely to take a top college quarterback with the No. 2 pick in the draft.

Payton is taking on his first head coaching job after serving under Bill Parcels at Dallas, where he also held the title of assistant head coach. Before that, he was a New York Giants assistant, a stint that included that team's NFC championship in 2000.

"I believe today we've hired a head coach that has what it takes to bring a championship to this city," Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said at a midday news conference.

Payton succeeds Jim Haslett, whose tenure lasted six years. The Saints were 3-13 in 2005, a season in which all of their "home" games were played on the road because of Hurricane Katrina. The Saints were a .500 team during Haslett's first five seasons combined. The victories include the team's only playoff win.

Payton promised preparation and attention to detail.

When asked about his experiences, Payton noted that his personality is different than Parcells'. He also acknowledged the displacement caused by Katrina, saying he hoped the 2006 team would help show the country that the franchise and region had rebounded.

"We're starting a new chapter in the history of our team," owner Tom Benson said, of the franchise that is expected to play all of its games in Louisiana in 2006.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Re: Sean Payton hired as Saints headcoach

Based on his comments and his responses to questions, so far I like what I see. He had been previously been offered the head coaching job at Green Bay and Oakland, so apparently he was in demand which speaks well for him. Lets see what kind of decisions he and Loomis make in the draft. But the proof is in the pudding. The best indication as to whether or not the decision to hire Payton will come during regular season play. Hopefully we have finally found a coach who can turn the Saints into a winning program. The fans deserve no less.

5. TigerPrideLSU

TigerPrideLSU Founding Member

Since he's a QB coach, hopefully he can groom Vince Young or Matt Leinart as a great NFL QB.

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I just hope Benson keeps his senility out of the organization. He has a long road ahead regaining fan loyalty.

I'm kind of surprised they went with him...I was thinking they would take Martz.

7. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

It's the Saints. Don't get your hopes up

8. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

His first order of business should be to fire Rick Venturi.

9. Bengal Buddy

10. Bengal Buddy

I am not a big Benson fan either, but to say that he does not care about winning is silly. If he did not care about winning he would not keep firing non-winning coaches. If Benson has a problem it is in he decisions he makes. Hopefully, this will be a better one, but we won't know for a few years.