New Orleans Saints Offseason and Draft Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by pjnchamps, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Saints and Benson are probably done with Free Agency probably figured they made enough moves to appease the fans and season ticket holders.

2. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

What makes you say that? Because a whole TWO days into free agency we haven't signed anyone?

3. clair

clair Rockets

you need to get out more.

not every, single free agent will want to play for the Saints, dude.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I don't know what it is, but check out any Saints board and you will see that a lot of idiots think that if we don't go out and sign every big name out there, it means that the FO doesn't care about winning. It's really comical to see some of the opinions out there.

Oh, and if you try and defend not signing everyone, you're automatically just fine with mediocrity.

5. pjnchamps

I realize that players have a choice but its just like recruiting you at least like to be in their consideration. I know you cant get every FA just like LSU cant get every 5* recruit but one would like to be at least in the running with a shot. PPl criticized college coaches in recruiting for example many critcized Brady for not having a TOP PG come to LSU.

Saints Secondary has been a problem for a few years and have done nothing to improve it. They like to do patchwork jobs.

6. pjnchamps

They're not necessarily idots they just have a different opinion than you. If everybody agreed message boards would be boring and no one would hear the other side.

7. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

No, some of them really are idiots when you read what they have to say. They really have no concept of the business side of the NFL and don't understand why you can't build a real NFL team the same way you can in Madden.

Of course you like to be in their consideration, but in reality, the Saints can't help it if a player simply doesn't want to come here. And just because you don't read it in the papers or on ESPN.com, doesn't mean they weren't in the running.

I will agree about the Secondary, but if you ask me, that is probably one of the hardest positions on defense to shore up. Last year the Saints truly believed Jason David would be the answer and they were praised for going out and getting him. Nate Clements had ridiculous contract demands, ended up getting paid, and didn't exactly produce last season. This season, aside from Asante Samuel, I don't think there was anyone that caught the Saints eye enough to offer a big payday. Even Samuel was asking for way more than I think the Saints were willing to pay and I don't blame them. McKenzie was solid for us last season before he was injured and I think Usama Young has a lot of potential. Jason David will be better suited as a nickelback, which leaves the draft to find a CB, which, at No. 10, I think we'll have the pick of the litter.

Personally, I just don't think it's worth it to go out and sign every big name guy that becomes available. I said it on another board, teams full of superstars do not win championships.

Edit: I just saw that the Saints inked Randall Gay to a 4-year deal. He'd been very solid for the Pats. Let's see how he does for the hometown team.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I agree. The Saints shouldn't rely on signing guys when they can just wait to use their brilliant drafting skills. :wave:

(I agree many think it is Madden)

9. clair

clair Rockets

well the Saints signed Randal Gay...

so you all can sleep well tonight knowing the Saints have not quit on Free Agency.

10. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

Jason David part 2

What's worse is that this makes it a certainty that they will not draft a CB on the first day!

I don't understand how they can make a great move by trading for Vilma and then reach for someone like this.