My game ball goes to......

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Sep 21, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Jermon Bushrod

He had the unenviable task of having to block one of the premier pass rushing DE's in the league in Trent Cole and was outstanding.

The only sack given up was because Brees ran backwards into him. Bushrod did his job in pushing Cole as wide as possible away from Brees. Not his fault.

Bushrod having a bad game could have made this contest tough and tight. But Brees had all the time he needed and picked apart one of the best defenses in the league. Job well done.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

It should also be noted that Bushrod is subbing for a Pro Bowl tackle, who we don't seem to miss at all up to this point.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

At one point in the game Aikman alluded to the fact that the Saints basically have "interchangeable" parts on offense. And in reality, it's all so true.

Moore doesn't factor into the offense due to a hammy. No problem.

Reggie Bush is ineffective for most of the game. No problem.

From game to game, it won't matter who is out or who is hurting. The Saints brain trust of Payton and Brees will find a way to put up huge stats and huge points. One thing Payton stresses is the quick read and react on Brees' part, so that the offensive line doesn't have to protect him for all that long. And Brees is the best in the NFL at it. He gets it out of there as quick as anyone.

Just like Aikman said, these passing plays are often just "long handoffs", essentially.

4. mctiger

Bingo. This is the big reason I don't get overly excited about Bush not putting up a great yards per carry number. We generally get him the ball about 5 times a game on those "long handoffs", that usually are good for about 10 yards each. Of course, they go on the stat sheet as a pass reception.

5. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Bushrod also seems to know the snap count and not move until the ball is snapped. Somebody else who's been known to play at that position seems to have at lest 2 or 3 false starts per game. He also seems to be able to block his man without holding him. Somebody may be on the bench when he's all healed up. :shock:

6. mctiger

Like I said.....
    Maybe I should make this a poll thread....which Saint do you think has the most trade value?
    a. Reggie Bush
    b. Jamal Brown
    c. Charles Grant
    d. Will Smith

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Get rid of all 4 of them.