MLB Talk

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by tirk, Dec 10, 2008.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no need to discuss CC and the yanks. 160 mill, what was the guy gonna do.

mets signed k-rod of course. most overrated closer for the dollar. never goes 2 innings. always a heart attack to watch and and a slider away from ending his career. complete waste of money imo.

more news: metsjust signed jj putz. 3 team deal.

i really like this deal for the mets. sean green is a flamethrower with control problems if I remember correctly, while jeremy reed was once a top prospect and putz was the best closer in baseball just 2 years ago. his injury is the obvious question.

mark teixiera may be getting a 200 mill dollar contract similar to arod. possibly boston. the orioles already offered something around 7 years and 150 mill. this is just the beginning. sox will be replacing mannys bat with this one i believe.

yankees are offering aj burnett 90+ mill for 5 years as well. he has some great upside if he can stay healthy but hes like ben sheets. always on the dl.

oswalt agreed to restructure his contract if the astros sign a top pitcher. ben sheets maybe?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Astros would shock me if they sign a top flight pitcher.

All I heard so far was trying to get their payroll way down.

Depressing.

3. tirk

buzz kill for the season, thanks.

i know theyre trying to trade that aging dominican shortstop.

4. clair

clair Rockets

just a few thoughts:

1. K-Rod is not a ton better than Wagner at his best, so the Mets stayed level imo.

2. Why the Cubs just let Wood loose for nothing kinda is odd to me. They were loyal to him for years and years when he was hurt. Now that he was back and pitching well out of their pen, they dump him?

3. Whoever signs Hoffman is getting a guy who is still a good closer.

4. If Tex gets $200M, it's about $80M too much

5. Depending on how cheap he goes, whoever gets Sheets gets a steal.

Especially if that team is a contender. So what if he only makes 25 starts. As long as he'd be there in August and September. Dude is absolutely filthy.

5. clair

clair Rockets

better trade him now before he announces that he's actually 43 and it drops his value.

That guy aged 3-4 years in the last year, I swear. :hihi:

6. tirk

im gonna go with complete bust in the end.

i believe they feel he and prior are the modern-day goat. a jinx that had to go at all costs.

maybe for the first half of the season. hes close to the end if not there.

a gold-glove switch hitting 1b? not so much. there is no too much if you have the money to spend.

not really but has to be to a contender with top pitching already because you cant depend on him whether its april or august. similarly to what the brewers did last year needing CC to carry them to the postseason then implode. brewers rode him into the ground since they had no one else.
    he's the NL version of Burnett. only reason either of them were relatively healthy last year is they were playing for contracts.

both will live on the dl all year more than likely. the yankees can take that gamble given they have CC and an endless checkbook.

7. tirk

his true age was already revealed after the last trade. ( i assume that was the joke but just in case)

and steroids help keep you young. since hes been off the b-12 shots hes aged about 10 in 3.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

so answer me this. you hear all the talk about cc's deal, possibly aj's and others, and the nyc taxpayers coughing up cash for the new stadium. i realize that its never as bad as it seems and im not sure what the contracts are like. so whats the deal here. seems like the nyc residents have a legit complaint.

9. tirk

whats the question. how bad are they being screwed?

10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Im not sure, I cant find an article but its its all over the radio. Like I said it is probably not as bad as it seems, never is. But it does look pretty bad that the organization is asking for public money and still dishing out 150mil.