Mike Karney Cut!

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by qball316, Mar 5, 2009.

1. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

KLFY just said we released Karney. I see that we signed Heath Evans from the Patriots. I don't understand this one. I thought Karney was a decent player. I don't have an issue with Evans. I understand he's from a franchise like the Patriots. I just consider this a wash. Maybe Karney's cap number was getting high, but a FB's cap number couldn't have been getting that high.

2. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Karney is an above-average blocker, but he's not great. He's not great because he is stiff. He's not able to get to the second level and get the right guy sometimes. He will blow up whoever he can engage, but he misses guys occasionally. He's also almost useless as a short yardage runner because he is very stiff and runs upright. He never falls forward for any yards. You can also see his stiffness when he catches balls out of the backfield. It seems like it takes him a second or two to get moving after he catches the ball, and by that time there's someone there to take him down.

Evans on the other hand is an athlete. He is probably not as strong a 1-on-1 blocker as Karney is, but he's mobile and can get to the second and third level as a blocker, and he can also knock out those short yardage runs and even turn a pass to the flat into a decent gain.

Karney has 19 first down runs in 5 years. Evans had 13 in 2007 alone. It's hardly a wash, if you ask me. In the offense the Saints run, Evans is a better fit, not to mention the veteran leadership and experience he can bring.

3. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

I guess I can see the plus side. One thing I can't stand about our offense the last couple years is that they don't know how to use Reggie. I guess if he is back there behind Evans, there is more of a dual threat than with Karney. Still think we may need to address RB on day two of the draft.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

ok awesome has a great point about the number of first downs stat. We need a FB to get us that tough yard or two, so that we don't have to get cute every time with some kind of trick play or quick pass to try and get the first down. Would be nice to mix in some smash mouth with the sexiness and flash of this offense.