LSU vs New Mexico Official Game Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Sep 24, 2022.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Thanks

2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I would say we are trending to being a good to pretty good team. A couple of breaks go our way or a signature upset win and we might wind up being a very good team.

Hou-duco likes this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

1664137661768.jpg

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I have watched whole games of A&M, Ark., Fla., Aub. & Tenn, and believe that we are capable of beating each. This is not a prediction that we will beat them, but that we can match up with them and can beat them if we play our best and remain focused like the past 2 games. I think that the defense is already past being pretty good and is trending to being very good. I am really liking Matt House as our DC. He may turn out to be better than Aranda.

ROY_LA_CA, shane0911 and Herb like this.
  5. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

I’m in total agreement that the defensive unit is trending to be very powerful. One frustration… Overall… We play Southern prior to the Florida State game, we’re heading into Auburn game 4 and 0. Geez… One blocked extra point from a perfect record. I know we still had to play in overtime had it been made, but we had momentum.

kcal likes this.
  6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

from Brody millers article in the athletic:

BATON ROUGE, La. — LSU opened quickly. It snapped the ball within seconds. It ran short passes and let its receivers make plays. It moved the ball 57 yards in under three minutes.

That might sound simple and basic against New Mexico, but it’s the kind of start LSU has been looking for all season with Jayden Daniels and the offense. LSU has kept talking about things like urgency. And tempo. And coming out strong. For all the second-half comebacks and coming up clutch when it mattered, the LSU offense hadn’t proved it could efficiently move the ball from start to finish.

But as LSU (3-1, 1-0 SEC) easily handled New Mexico, 38-0, on Saturday at Tiger Stadium, it finally laid out what this offense could and should look like as SEC play really gets going next week. LSU outgained the Lobos, 617 yards to 88, and averaged 8 yards per play. The Tigers earned 21 first downs to New Mexico’s two. They looked efficient, and that’s been what LSU has been looking for all month.

No, New Mexico isn’t a major foe, but the Lobos defense ranked No. 55 nationally in ESPN’s SP+, an opponent-adjusted metric. Defensive coordinator Rocky Long is one of the great defensive minds of this era, so this performance wasn’t nothing. For weeks, LSU waited to go to a faster tempo until trailing in the second half, and both times — against Florida State and Mississippi State — Daniels thrived with it and a game plan designed to keep him in rhythm.
    question remained whether LSU would do as well if it ran the faster tempo for an entire game. Daniels opened Saturday by going 18-of-21 for 224 passing yards. More than that, he seemed as sharp and comfortable as he’s ever been in Baton Rouge. On his 51-yard pass down the middle of the field to Chris Hilton Jr., he pulled the trigger quickly in a way he didn’t against Mississippi State. On the 19-yard pass to Jaray Jenkins in traffic, he stood comfortably in the pocket and waited for the play to develop before finding his receiver. That ranks as a big improvement.

“We were really firm on fast feet and then slowing down the thought process,” LSU coach Brian Kelly said. “We felt like when his feet are slow, it puts his mind moving too fast because he feels like the opposite has occurred.”

Saturday was less about how good Daniels and the offense looked and more about how Daniels, entering the gantlet of SEC play, is finding his place and confidence leading LSU.

7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Agree. Have you noticed like I have the sports media in fact all of it has virtually ignored us? Believe me I don't need any sports media to make me happy but they are becoming very woke and biased. Seems like at least one outlet would notice we are we are improving rather quickly and are within a hair of being 4-0.

8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Because of victories over MOOU, NM, and SU? Nothing too exceptional there.

9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Well Moo U was one of their darlings and this was supposed to be their best team in years. We destryed both SU and NM and Fla St is a good football team who had a game under their belt and we still almost won that one. Don't agree with you we are being snubbed.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Well no, they aren't. I get why we need that to be true but it isn't.

lsu-i-like likes this.