LSU vs New Mexico Official Game Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Sep 24, 2022.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, weird game. Even if the two TDs didn’t get called back, 49 points still seems low on a night with over 600 yards of offense and no punts.

TBTrumpet likes this.
  2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

C4A0A449-B407-4F94-AF7B-947F12818325.png

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

Our team leadership has got to remind everyone to forget those stats & concentrate on next week & AU.

4. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Is it just me or did anyone else think that our first drive looked a lot like 2019's offense?

lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm not taking much from this game. Hard to really tell if anything got better. I'm glad the barn was able to back into a win because they won't have as much of a case of the redass next week. Going to be interesting.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Glad BK is fostering ownership and accountability amongst the ranks. After looking like crap game 1 we’ve seen a steady improvement. STs still suck.

7. lsu-i-like

We didn’t waste the opportunity to throw a lot and get Nuss PT. Previous administrations have missed out on those opportunities.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I think the criticism of the special teams and specifically the special teams coach is way overblown. It's like gossip: "did you hear what so-and-so said about LSU's special teams?" Repeated ad nauseam it becomes "true".

Our kicker missed a field goal that was at the edge of his range...it become's Polian's fault. A punt fielder who has incredible hands in his 'day job' muffs a punt...it's Polian's fault. A kid recovers a muffed punt from an opponent...it's a great effort by that kid and the coach gets no credit for the kid being in the perfect spot on coverage.

Very very few of our special teams lapses have been a result of the "system" but are individual mistakes.

It's just vogue right now for fans to look knowledgeable by exclaiming that the ST coach needs to be fired.

Winston1 and 65Grad like this.
  9. lsu-i-like

If the STs isn’t running like a well-oiled machine, that lays at the feet of the coach responsible for STs. Another kickoff out of bounds. Another missed FG (wasn’t it less than 40 yards?) Block in the back to negate a TD return.

I’m not calling for his head, but there have been very few STs highlights and several lowlights. Getting beck involved in punt returns is a great move, that might help things. Will judge as we get closer to the end of year 1. I think BK will get it right.

10. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I agree, but I have to say this... LSU last night pulled off a "best case scenario" in my mind, meaning that if everything generally went well, this is how the game should turn out. It could (should) have been worse if not for a couple of questionable (bullshit) calls. Still, those calls did not matter with regard to the outcome of the game. JD put on a solid performance and well balanced before being injured on a run. Nuss looked very good as well and got significant PT, which is always a good thing.

Defense continued the domination they showed last week and improved I would say. NM State or not, shutouts don't come easy, or else everyone would be doing it all of the time.

If all of this holds up, I like our chances next week. The offense and defense should be good enough for poor ST play to not matter if that is the case.

This team is changing, and I like what I am seeing so far. Lets see how they look come the end of October. That will tell the tale.