LSU special teams through 6 games - horrible

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Oct 8, 2022.

1. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

He did acknowledge the switch with having the better hands (he didn’t use that exact phrase). But yeah, he called the kick short which led to the fumble/muff.

furduknfish and kcal like this.
  2. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I would start by not letting players like Derius Davis, St Francisville, and Kevontae Turpin, Monroe leave the state to play football. I’m sure there are others.

3. Herb

Herb Founding Member

The muffs definitely hurt and the team absolutely need to work on that. What I don't understand is the crap tackling. Should that be something that Polian should get blamed for or the position coaches for the group on the team they are listed at?

When we kick or punt, I assume that almost all of the players on the field for those kicks are almost exclusively defensive players? Special teams players are not on the team in isolation and I think CBK needs to be crawling up the @$$ of those position coaches in addition to Polian for these breakdowns.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It would be nice to think that, but it is actually the craziest thing I've ever seen. And I don't think the extreme hideous special teams play can be explained away as bad luck.

5. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Special teams definitely need to improve, but that is only one of many areas that LSU has to improve on. The good news is this is basically a brand new team with a brand new coaching staff and it just takes time, but it will get better eventually. Sometimes a good butt kicking helps a team get a lot better and I hope that is the case in this game.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

We were primed for a good butt-kickimg, for sure. And it may refocus us...or not.

We are seriously lacking in many positions, and I am very tired of not having good running backs anymore.

For all of the DBU hype over the years (which was warranted most of the time), we were also RBU. And now we're neither.

7. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Kelly and staff have their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

8. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

The opening fumble may have been bad luck or a poorly prepared player. But the kick and punt returns we have given up this year are an extremely poor reflection on Polian.

MobileBengal likes this.