LSU - Oregon off board

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Randy70, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

What's up with the LSU - Oregon game off the board with several of the Vegas bookies and offshore bookies? Anything I'm Not aware of? Most of the bookies that still have it on the board show a "pick em" game.

2. Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard Founding Member

Prolly due to suspensions, injuries and possible key players being held out.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Yes it is because they are waiting to see if the
    "We smoked it all" at 118mph crew will serve any kind of suspension.
    All of the duck fans here feel there is no need for that as it is prefectly O.K. for their team to have guys who drive with no DL, smoking weed at 4:30am driving at 118mph.
    Darren Thomas wasnt driving just smoking weed so he is fine....

4. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

in a rental car paid for by the Ducks for a guy with no DL !!

they let the QB get in the car with him

Chip said he knew Harris was going to give him a ride - really coach ???

5. Darth

Darth Dark Lord of the SEC

The denial I've been reading by the duck fans is pathetic.
    I'm hoping DT gets to play, so there are no excuses.

6. TigerCliff

University of Oregon football coach Chip Kelly might not lose a game this college football season. But he's losing his mind if he believes Darron Thomas is as good of a leader as he's been around.

Kelly said as much after Ducks practice on Tuesday. The coach was surly, and short with his answers, and appeared irritated that anyone would dare question the leadership of his star quarterback after it was learned that Thomas was a passenger at 4:30 a.m. in that Cliff Harris-driven car clocked at 118 mph and stopped by a Oregon State Police trooper in June.

"Darron Thomas is the leader of this football team," Kelly said. "There is absolutely no question about it. He's as good as I've been around."

Nonsense, Coach.

Can't imagine former Ducks quarterback Dennis Dixon riding in a car that was street racing, as Thomas was with teammate Eddie Pleasant in 2008. Can't see former linebacker Casey Matthews riding shotgun with Jeremiah Masoli as he was pulled over and cited for possession of marijuana, but Thomas was there in 2010. Can't believe the 80-plus current Ducks football players –– guys who do the right things every day and never get written about -- being subjected to a lecture from a state trooper who asked Thomas and Co., "Who's smoking the marijuana?" during the traffic stop.

Thomas was in the car, and in spite of it, he was lauded Tuesday as the greatest leader Kelly has ever been around.

Kelly hasn't been around Joey Harrington at all? He hasn't been around Dan Fouts or Jonathan Stewart? He hasn't been around former quarterbacks Chris Miller or Tony Graziani? How about Ed Dickson or Patrick Chung? Maybe not as a coach to some of those guys, but as leaders, they make Thomas look like a wannabe Tommy Chong sidekick.

Harris told the trooper of the marijuana: "We smoked it all."

A quote machine, that guy.

7. TigerCliff

Canzano: Sorry, but Oregon's Darron Thomas is no great leader | OregonLive.com

Later in the traffic stop, the players assert not everyone in the car used drugs. And Kelly snapped at a reporter Tuesday who suggested Thomas might have smoked marijuana with, "Do you know that for a fact?"

Who cares?

Marijuana really isn't the issue. Nor is speeding. Rather, the question has to be leadership and judgment. As in, does the guy who makes so many brilliant decisions on the field understand how perilous his behavior might someday be off the field? Also, how a good leader might have helped prevent any of the trouble by, you know ... leading?

I suppose Kelly gets a wide berth because he's been so good, at times, in handling discipline issues. I liked some of what he did with LeGarrette Blount. Love what he did with Masoli. Love what he did with Harris. Other cases are a mixed bag. But the coach's apparent defiance on Tuesday when it came to his star quarterback and prized pupil has to make you shake your head.

Oregon has all the right pieces this season. This is the most complete team in state history. The Ducks have depth, and speed, and experience in all the right places. Kelly is brilliant with his scheme and preparation. UO is an easy pick to go 11-1 this season. Maybe better. But the post-practice video of Kelly, acting as though nobody should dare question the leadership of Thomas, is pathetic.

No way around it.

8. TigerCliff

Maybe Kelly's short answers on Tuesday came out of frustration. He looked fed up. Maybe he's simply over people telling him what to do, and requesting his cellphone records, and prying into his UO email with records requests. Maybe he's irked that the NCAA has circled back multiple times to examine his recruiting-service issue, and that the coach has essentially been gagged from explaining himself by attorneys.

Maybe it bugs Kelly that Oregon State's Mike Riley gave his starting defensive tackle charged with domestic violence a paltry one-game suspension last week and it wasn't much of a national story. Riley blew that one, too. But he didn't make a bowl game in 2010, so beyond this columnist and local media who peppered him about the decision, well, nobody much cares.

Was it an ego issue for Kelly on Tuesday? Is he spending too much time counting his 22-4 overall head coaching record as if he's Narcissus, staring into his own reflection? Or is he just tired of having to answer questions from people he views as having less pressure and responsibility than he?

9. TigerCliff

and the Ducks say -

Web, you are partly correct, but really, do you feel that Darron Thomas, or Kelly for that matter, deserve the kick in the crotch that John Canzano has served up here? I am a Duck fan AND a Beaver fan, so I think I see this with some objectivity.
    Kelly is "losing his mind if he believes Darron Thomas is as good of a leader as he's been around." Was that really called for?
    "Is he (Kelly) spending too much time counting his 22-4 overall head coaching record as if he's Narcissus, staring into his own reflection?" Was that the work of a thoughtful columnist? Not in my book.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's like saying Tulane has the most complete team in New Orleans history.