LSU needs to leave 5-star LB Perkins alone, bad news

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Dec 30, 2021.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

It's crazy how things have gone to crap so quickly. I was a big supporter of NIL when it started, but I thought there would be some guidelines. A few years ago, a coach couldn't buy a recruit a coke and now you can pull up the Brinks truck to their house and pay what you want!

rockwallfan likes this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

That's just the start of the problem. The rest of it is the player no longer has any obligation to the school he signs with. He gets tuition, room/board, meals all paid for, plus the NIL bonus, and he can still enter the transfer portal and be immediately eligible to play elsewhere. Take the money and run. The letter of intent was once a contract of sorts, because there was at least the penalty of a year's eligibility lost for transferring. No longer.

KyleK likes this.
  3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Correct. And the complete lack of rules or direction for these kids is really bad for them. You know there are bad agent type characters out there who see a huge pile of cash with no rules around grabbing it. Some of these kids are going to get fucked, fleeced, and used worse than they were before NIL.

4. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

30for30 in the making.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No way to turn the NIL thing around, they may be able to regulate it some but they can damn sure shut that stupid portal down. That would go a long way to getting this shit under control

6. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Doubt the portal is goin away. More likely, they implement collective NIL caps and/or and free agency for transfers. With enough bitching, a HS draft.

I mean after all, the proponents of this circus keep telling us the edication is worthless so they cant argue they will get a "better" education at a place they choose.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    shane0911 likes this.
  7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

The NCAA has no one to blame except themselves. The elite athletes have been getting paid for years and the NCAA knew it, but chose to look the other way. They basically did what baseball did with steroids because they were making so much money. The NCAA could have gotten control of this years ago by punishing those who were breaking the rules and developing a plan to help the players with some type of financial assistance, but didn't. Now they are basically powerless and the players are now running the show and making a lot of money as a result.

tigerpub and mctiger like this.
  8. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

This is exactly what happened. Saban was absolutely awesome at the cheat. NCAA knew it. I believe Alabama and Nick Saban are essentially responsible for the NCAA acquiescence. Gotta justify salary by paying players, who earn your salary. The NCAA knew that if they were to have looked, they would have found. College football is over. Imagine being a college player making a pittance, if even that, and blocking for a star running back making at least six, if not seven figures. I hear very little about what effect NIL will have on team morale, incentive, discord in the locker room, cohesion , and even non-star player retention.

9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

imo, the genesis of all of this is the ncaa losing its oversight status in the courts

what follows is the free market system at work unfortunately….

I think saban predicted this would happen, didn’t he?

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Eli Ricks