LSU needs a men's soccer team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Dec 3, 2006.

1. LSU

LSU Founding Member

Today, St. Louis Catholic alumnus Joseph Lapira won the Hermann Trophy, which is the college soccer equivalent of the Heisman Trophy.

Last year, St. Amant alumnus Jason Garey won the same award, marking the first time that ANY state has produced different back to back winners. Considering that soccer isn't terribly popular in Louisiana, especially considered to the pools of talent (and size of) in California, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia, New York, and Florida, this is quite an accomplishment for Louisiana.

If LSU had a men's team, it's possible both these players stay home and play together. Without any other men's team in the state, LSU could quickly become a powerhouse.

See the story at http://www.lahssoccer.com/

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

But then LSU would have to add another women's program like rowing or something to comply with Title IX.

3. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

And that would mean two more non-revenue generating sports for the Football program to support.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Why don't we allow The University of New Orleans to have a men's soccer team and win some National Championships instead?

I like their nickname: The Privateers.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Truth is those are two great players who have done well in college but Louisiana does not have a strong soccer base in high school as compared to a lot of other states. We would be competitive but it would not be as easy as starting a team and collecting trophies.

6. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Who is not allowing it?

I'll allow it :thumb:

7. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

I also give UNO permission to have a soccer team

8. LSU

LSU Founding Member

You take the top 11 from Louisiana each year and you have a top 25 NCAA team at once.

Garey, Lapira, Dwayne Jones, PJ Kee, Tyler Melancon, Chris Denuna, John Tilghman, Frank Judice, William Bagayoko, Matt Barcelona, Paul Slocum, Casey Steen could have all been on this year's team. If so, they would have been possibly the most talented team in the nation.

LA might not produce a ton of talent, but because there are no programs nearby, we could keep most of the instate talent, which as the past two years show, is among the best in the nation, and maybe steal a few from Ark, Miss, Ala, and maybe Tenn.

9. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

There is actually a rowing team (I'm on it) and we're looking at enforcing title IX to get the women's program some money. We've got talent, but no gear. At all.

On top of that, the Rec HATES us, they are told to hate us as they come into the fold, the same as we are told to hate them. By going title IX, the women's program leaves the Rec, and we can use the gear they pass on. (We being the men's rowing team). Compared to Auburn, Florida, and other SEC schools, LSU is severely lacking in funding in rowing. And believe me, we have talent. We lack the training equipment and the high-tech gear other schools have.

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not LA has instate soccer talent or not. I think it's a question of fan interest in college soccer in the South LA area. While I am not a soccer fan myself, I would have no problem with LSU fielding a team as long as it was at lease self sustaining as far as revenue goes. I don't think the athletic department should put out money for a program that would only appeal to a small fan base and loose money. I guess it comes down to how popular it would be. I really have no idea.