LSU Basketball 2021-2022

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Oct 23, 2021.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

You could just ignore since we’ve won a lot of games against G5 teams.

2. lsu-i-like

You're making excuses; but WW did say over a month ago, “we’ll get it fixed.”

shane0911 likes this.
  3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

and your contention is that he was wrong, and that perhaps he should be fired in favor of another coach that always goes undefeated? perhaps a coach in the SEC that wins more consistently?

you are judging way too small sample sizes. you dont watch two possessions and say a coach sucks. you also dont do it with a half, or for that matter, half a season, or even really a full season.

you establish a metric for success, and measure by that. your metric "improve" is stupid. its by design non-falsifiable so you can always be negative and bring up how you were super smart on miles or whatever. you brought that up 4 times. miles is maybe the most opposite to wade coach in the entire coaching industry. wade is smart and driven and detail-obsessed. miles is clownish, unserious, and detail-ignoring.

the actual metric is to win consistently (wade is winningest in the league long term), finish in the top of the league, get the rest late in the season of a SEC tournament bye, and go to the tournament, with a team that will have a chance. you do that every year, and sometimes you will go to the sweet 16, and sometimes maybe to the final four. wade is very firmly on this path. he needs no excuses.

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

have to get some production from Reid and O’Neal will have to have some quality minutes…

which Eric Gaines shows up?

shane0911 likes this.
  5. lsu-i-like

You’re too black and white. Programming needs to be upgraded.

by your metric Les miles shouldn’t have been criticized when he was winning. That is verifiably wrong. I’m sure it took you too long to realize that.

6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

what does that mean, the programming needs to be upgraded? can you be specific with the criticisms and the metrics for success?

my metrics were wholly basketball specific, regarding finishing in the top 4 in the SEC for the tourney bye, making the tournament etc. they have nothing whatsoever to do with miles or football.

again, regarding miles, i dunno why you are obsessed with him. i dont care about him, never have, and dont even claim to know shit about football. the entirety of miles tenure i lived a million miles away and barely paid attention.

how can you be sure of this? and why are you even speculating on how quickly i realize things? is the intent to be insulting? grow up.

can you describe the parameters by which you would judge a basketball coach's success? you said before "improvement", which is vague and also stupid. a losing team can always be improving. who cares. thats not the goal, the metric by which a team should be judged.

wade took over a team that was utterly horrifying. they were 10-21 and finished the season in a catastrophic losing streak. immediately, he turned that team into a winner and won a postseason game in the NIT. he has made the tournament every year since, recruited 5 stars, and won the league, once going undefeated in the league on the road. he has more wins than any other SEC team after his first year, when he was left with a program in ruins.

there are some great young coaches in the SEC. nate oats for example. he has owned wade. he is also has twice as many losses as LSU does right now. mike white from florida is a smart guy as well. he is about to be fired. eric musselman is also good but they have 5 losses already as well.

really the only other coaches that compare to wade in the league are calipari (who has resources LSU can only dream of in basketball) and bruce pearl. nationally i think only mark few and tom izzo and a handful of others are on wade's level. coach K is is a hall of famer, but he is old and retiring.

i think an objective analysis (free of NCAA punishment looming) shows wade to be best coach in the league, and one of the best young coaches in america.

but his players miss shots sometimes, and lose games. if you dont expect this to happen its because you are an ignorant fan.

you need to think of a better metric for what success is, and judge coaches by that metric, and stop obsessing over what i imagine was a time when you hated miles before other people and were too giddy about it. you also need to understand why it is unwise to shrink sample sizes to individual basketball games when making broad criticisms.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

He did say this, very emphatically in a much publicized presser.

In a "basketball" sense he sort of has. They are moving, passing all the things they are supposed to do.

They still can't shoot and our backcourt is awful. The #1 thing you must have to make a deep run in the tourney is a strong backcourt. We don't make it past 32.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. lsu-i-like

I do think WW has shown the ability to improve by postseason.

As far as moving and passing, I think they look much less sophisticated on offense than a lot of the teams they play.

9. lsu-i-like

I’m calling you a robot because of your inability to see gray in this discussion. Todays computers are much better at that, so I’m saying you need an upgrade.

I love WW and I think he’s one of the best coaches in the SEC/NCAA. The best hire Alleva made.

I’ll be happy to make the NCAAT and win a couple of games, which I think is realistically possible. I’d like to see a run in the SECT too. If the offense isn’t improved we might not do either. I do have some faith that WW will step his game up in the postseason.

But winning a couple in the NCAAT would also be a plateau in the success WW has been able to accomplish. At some point I hope he is able to surpass that plateau.

At one point Miles was considered one of the best coaches in the nation/SEC; he won a NC and a ton of games. I think WW is better, but his offense sucks (like Miles) and he hasn’t approached a NC.

10. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

my ability to see gray is unparalleled and also not relevant.
    wade in is career has had among the best offenses in the game. not all teams win with offense.

he has not approached a title because he isnt even 40 years old and has been at a major school for 4 years, one of which he had dangerous team and the tournament was cancelled, and another year he inherited a garbage team. him not having a national title at this stage in his career is not a valid criticism.

your constant bringing up of miles is weird and dumb.

the extent to which they look sophisticated to fans is not relevant. you guys said the offense looked bad last year when it was explosive. you guys tend to find poor offenses like princeton most pleasing because they look organized. they dont score as much as more open styles. thats why the NBA doesnt look like princeton, it looks like a lot of 5 outs and clear outs and one v one matchups.

the teams you saw this year with motion offenses and constant cutting and backdoors, those teams do that because they are inferior and have to do that. superior teams with superior athletes open it up and let athletes play, without as much structure. it doesnt look as sophisticated to ignorant fans, but it scores more.

the offense sucks right now because wade has recruited some defensive wizards like wilkinson ad gaines, and not as many offense-oriented players like watford and thomas. again, you cant just recruit 5 kawhi leonards that dominate both ends of the court. you choose a strategy and follow it to winning. if that strategy is to be a defensive juggernaut at the expense of some shooting, and that strategy wins, then thats smart strategy.

the idea that wade is a poor offensive coach is insane.