Lets talk conference realignment...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by locoguano, Apr 20, 2010.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I like the SEC how it is but we can't bury our heads in the sand on this one. We need to pick up some good teams and enter into the new college football landscape as the best conference.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

There are now rumors going around that A&M, OU, VT, and West Virginia all want into the SEC and Texas might be heading to the Big 10.

Getting to crazy to even comprehend right now.

3. dudley

dudley oops!

OU in the SEC and Texas in the Big 10. Do you realize what this means. It means I will have to root for Oklahoma in the State Fair game. Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!! Never mind, I just won't watch it. Can you imagine the Aggie Corps chanting SEC SEC SEC in the Texas game....

I just can't see Texas in the Big 10. :dis:

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

but because of new conference scheduling, the red river rivalry could go away. unless they kept it as an annual ooc game. same with ut/atm. and i dont see how they could keep both.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I want to tell you that it's ti..., I say, it is time for you to return to the Confederacy, son. Dixie, that is. Southern football . . . cowbells . . . hawg calls . . . houndstooth underwear.

Listen to me when I'm talkin' to ya', boy.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

classic!:rofl:

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

disappearing for a year did nothing to diminish my hatred for that big eared sob.

9. Bobbielee

Bobbielee Fair Weather Fan

amen!

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

The only reason to expand west into Texas if to increase TV presence. Only Texas or A&M would do that. Houston does nothing for us and would hurt recruiting. It would legitimize Houston being in the SEC and add another team to compete against when recruiting Texas athletes.

Right now you have 3 schools getting the top recuits in the state of Texas. UT, OU and LSU.

• Texas (and to lesser extent A&M)- Best option for recuits wanting to stay in TX
    • OU (and to lesser extent OSU)- Best option for north TX recruits that did not get into TX but want to stay in conference and close to home.
    • LSU (and to lesser extent ARK)- Best option for east TX recuits to play in the SEC and stay close to home.

Adding Houston would hurt LSU, and all the other SEC schools recruiting TX, because less kids would have reason to leave the state to play for an SEC team.

The only reason to add teams is to expand into new markets. That means schools that control markets that the SEC does not have exposure in. Miami, FSU, and Georgia Tech don't make much sense either because we already control those markets.

I like how the SEC is moving forward. We are being selective. If taking UT means all that other Big-12 baggage then we don't want them. No reason to expand just to expand. Unless we can get just a Texas, Virginia Tech, OU, or someone other school that controls a lucrative market we don't have, there is no reason to expand just because everyone else is doing to it.

1 person likes this.