Lets talk conference realignment...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by locoguano, Apr 20, 2010.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I don't mean Fantasy Leauges... I mean the real news...

With the Big Ten talking expansion, things could get interesting... especially if they go the 16 team route...
    • If the Big Ten goes to 16, they will likely raid the Big East and the Big 12 North.
    • The SEC will no doubt follow suit and add 4, possible going after Texas, Texas A&M, and a couple of Florida schools (Miami, FSU, USF).
    • The ACC will have to replace its loses, likely absorbing the leftovers of the Big East.
    • The Big 12 will be struggling to stay alive. Maybe a MWC, WAC, CUSA raid?
    • The Pac-10 has been talking expansion. Natural candidates would be Boise St., Utah, BYU.
    • If the Mid-Majors get raided, they will need to either combine (MWC and WAC back together) or fold (Sun Belt to fill holes in the others).
    Should be fun though!

1 person likes this.
  2. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

it should be crazy to see all this play out. I could see the SEC going after a rising program like TCU and maybe trying to move alittle up the east coast and get one of the acc schools from North Carolina, probably UNC. Or Even GA Tech, jmo.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I know this is mostly for fun, but it could be beneficial for college football if there were just a handfull of big conferences. My opinion is this: It would be easier to create a playoff system. That's where I stand.

I also look for Southern Miss to move to the Big East.

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

16 team leagues... wow.

I guess we could kiss away ever playing Penn State or Ohio State again, unless it was in a conference championship game.
    And you guys could say goodbye to the same with, say, Georgia and Florida.

The newly-born will get use to it long before old farts like me will.

I know this isn't about me, it's about money.... but I'm just sayin'....

1 person likes this.
  5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I wonder how a major conference shakeup would affect Tulane?

I couldn't see them coming into the SEC with the type of program they run. I couldn't see them in the ivy league with similar programs because geography (travel costs, traditional rivalries, etc).
    They're probably too elitist to join a conference with the gulf coast teams. There'd be no point in them (or anyone) going independent like Notre Dame. I can't see them giving up football. I can't see them dropping in classification like UNO.

It's going to be almost impossible for them to stay relevant after any major conference shakeup.

:popcorn:

6. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I was truly advocating the playoff system. But I see your point.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Now that I've had my coffee, I guess a 16 team league with two 8 team divisions could go to a 9 game conference schedule, as the PAC 10 now has, and leave you guys room for two games with the SEC East.... but now you're rotating with 8 team, not six, so the Florida's and Georgia's would still be a much less frequent happening.....

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Geez, if the SEC gets UT and OU, FSU and Miami? You thought it was a lock that an SEC team would play in the BCSNCG before?????

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Stay relevant?