Legitimate Political Discourse

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tiger in NC, Feb 8, 2022.

1. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I literally said 'racism is an act". So we agree there.
    Racist is a belief. WEBSTER - "a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race".
    Said differently, If I believe in God and Christ as his son, but for whatever reason never act on that belief by going to church, I would still be a Christian.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Beliefs don’t mean anything without action. So it’s an oxymoron.

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

well thats not true. it may be that you have no opportunity to be racist. like if you are a chinese person in he countryside of china and never meet foreigners. you know you hate them, but have very little chance to disrespect them.

unlike biden who is racist, and, more importantly, is acting racist by denying opportunity based on race. bein a racist is a mental state, like rex, even if he didnt support all manner of racist policy it wouldnt mean he doesnt look down on minorities.

4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

course they do! there is no requirement for action for beliefs to exist.

your actual point here is that racist beliefs without racist action are not damaging, and of course that is by definition correct because thoughts dont hurt others. but that doesnt mean the beliefs are not there.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

If you believe a race is superior, why wouldn’t you act on it?

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Seems like if you are racist you do racist things. How would you not? Like picking only one race for a judge.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Or, can someone give me an example of a belief that does not affect how you live?

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

no reason to. also its hard to suss out what is "superior". if the task is miniaturizing electronics, i would prefer the japanese to the irish. and if the task is developing an atomic bomb, give me american jews and israelis over puerto ricans. or if the task is sprinting i take the west africans and jamaicans (who are west african) over the kenyan. and vice versa for marathons.

so superior doesnt mean anything in universal sense

i am athiest and live more or less identically to my dad, who is methodist. people say values come from religion, but they are actully fairly obvious to anyone who is rational, so my values are basically identical to a normal american christian moderate.

9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

you might be racist and live in most other countries besides the hugely diverse US. i have been in places in asia where they basically have never seen a white person. they could hate whites all they wanted and never act on it a lifetime.

or i could hate eskimos and never act on it. i never met am eskimo as far as i can remember. or a maori. they seem pretty stupid, but i never have an opportunity to yell at them and tell them i hate them.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Would you say these groups, if given the opportunity, would act on it?

I’ve certainly not thought of this scenario though.