Late season QB controversy?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Nov 9, 2021.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

From Dandy Don this morning:

Now for some football news. The shocker to come from yesterday’s weekly press conference with coach Ed Orgeron is that LSU does indeed have a quarterback competition brewing. After seeing Max Johnson struggle last Saturday and then hearing Orgeron talk about redshirting Nussmeier in his postgame comments, you wouldn’t expect Orgeron to come out two days later and suggest that the quarterback competition is wide open, but he did just that.

Orgeron said Garrett Nussmeier was mad about not playing against Alabama and came to him asking for playing time. Nussmeier’s father also called offensive coordinator/quarterback coach Jake Peetz, according to Orgeron, and told him Garrett wants to play. Last week, Orgeron suggested that the plan was to play Nussmeier in only one more game this year so as to preserve his redshirt option. Now, not only did Orgeron say Nussmeier will play some against Arkansas, he suggested that he could earn the starting job.

“Max [Johnson] is still our starting quarterback,” Orgeron said, “but I will give Garrett a chance. He wants to play so we’ll play him and the guy who plays the best will play the most.” Orgeron then added, “If Max plays better than Garrett, he’ll be the starter. If Garrett plays better than Max, he’ll be the starter. Let them battle it out.”

The two quarterbacks will “split reps 50-50” during practice this week.

That’s certainly an interesting change of events and one that made me realize what an odd situation LSU could have next year with three quarterbacks whose fathers know a thing or two about quarterbacking. Nussmeier’s father is Dallas Cowboys quarterback coach Doug Nussmeier. Johnson’s father is Pro Bowl and Super Bowl quarterback Brad Johnson, and LSU commit Walker Howard is the son of former LSU quarterback Jamie Howard.

My own take: Sure would have been nice to see Nuss have a shot vs Alabama, when it was clear as day that Johnson wasn't getting it done. Nuss may very well have been the spark we needed to win that game. I don't think he misses on any of those throws that Johnson missed late in the 4th quarter.

TCUTiger likes this.
  2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

hard to believe the first convo about this took place after sat night….

but then again…..

TCUTiger, tzanghi and lsu-i-like like this.
  3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

It just keeps getting better all the time. This is essentially a communication between players, families, and coaches that should not be out in the public. Saying there will be competition for QB playing time is OK - bringing in the background conversations is another distraction.

Herb and Winston1 like this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Ed has no filter and is amazingly unaware in situations like this….

5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I wouldn't call this a controversy. I think everyone saw how Max has regressed. This is more of a we need to see if Nuss can help. O making it pretty clear it's an open battle best man wins so Max is still the starter. I am not that confident that Nuss is the answer. He's prone to trying to force passes and I cringe everytime he passes. If he can clean that up he could help us rest of the year.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

This shouldn't matter but I think its true.....if Max loses the starting job, LSU loses his 4-star brother's commitment.

Perple, kluke, BornOnTheBayou and 2 others like this.
  7. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

The most remarkable part to me is that he is talking as though they are in a competition for QB when he has treated Nuss as the back up and Max as the starter all year. How could a player voicing concern be the deciding factor in what gets them playing time or even vaults them into a competition. Either Nuss was playing as well as Max and Ed was not playing him or Nuss has not played as well as Max and now O is just letting him play because he complained. Unreal.

Perple likes this.
  8. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Nussmeier has done nothing to earn a starting job.

9. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

Not only do you know NOTHING about politics, this post demonstrates that you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about CFB.

Winston1 likes this.
  10. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

I just watched a replay of the last drive on the SECN. I payed particular attention to Johnson's feet on pass attempts. If Ray Charles was still with us he would acknowledge that Johnson has "happy" feet. I don't think Nuss will have to do much to earn the starting job.