johan santana

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by tirk, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I just read yesterday that he said he would refuse to waive his no-trade clause once the season starts. That eliminates a deadline deal.

2. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

even more reason to trade him now

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Or a month ago. I'm convinced that if Steinbrenner and Theo were told that it was between them, and them alone, the price would have went through the roof. Quick! They may or amy not have gotten Hughes, or Lester, but I truly beleive they would have gotten a better package than the Mets gave them. The ONLY positive I see with dealing him to the Mets is getting him out of the American League.

4. Lil Jules

Despite what you think the Red Sox or Yankee offers really were during the winter meatings (and we disagree on that), getting him out of the AL was surely an important aspect of the deal. This may be the only area where we agree.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

The Red Sox have confirmed that there were 2 packages offered. One with Ellsbury, and one around Jon Lester. Reports are that the one with Ellsbury included Coco Crisp, and Jed Lowrie. With Jacopy and Coco, you get 2 big league outfielders, both of whom have the base running ability to replace Castilla on the base paths. And Lowrie is a top notch prospect.

If the twins made it known that they were dealig Santana to the Yanks, Boston would have been almost gauranteed to up that offer significantly just to keep him out of pinstripes.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

thats a bull**** reason you're buying into. santana's numbers are obviously due to get "worse" because his numbers are so dominant. bradys numbers are going to get worse next year yet hes still the best qb in the league by a good margin. Not even debatable imo.

Both are so good theres no way they continue yet guess what? they're still better than everyone else.

JS is still the best than anything either the yanks or sox can roll out there. I find it hard to believe anyone buys into that argument. Im sure pujols and arods numbers are going to drop off their 3 yr averages theyve maintained yet find me a sucker dumb enough to take 2 top prospects for them.

you won't. if you do then the gm should be fired and the owner forced to sell his team.

7. Lil Jules

Careful with the wording. From what I understand, there was never an offer. Those packages were discussed. I'm not convinced that either Boston or NY would have actually gone through with it. I think it was more a case of posturing to drive up the price just in case the other team would make an actual offer.

Regarding Coco Crisp, I don't think Minnesota was licking its chops to pay $14 mil over 3 years to get a .268 hitter with no power and possibly the worst outfield arm in baseball (maybe only beating out his predecessor Johnny Damon). Gomez is possibly the better player right now.

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Among AL centerfielders, Coco was 3rd in put-outs, and 5th in assists last year, and tied with Ichiro for higest feilding pecentage.

His real threat is on the base paths. He finished top 10 in the AL in Stolen Bases while playing for a team that doesn't steal bases. He also finished near the top of the AL in triples.

9. Lil Jules

None of that has anything to do with what I said. I realize he is fast and that he can get to a lot of balls in the outfield. But it doesn't change the fact that he can't hit very well and he has a HORRIBLE arm. Gomez is faster, has a much better arm, and should hit just as well (if not better) immediately--with the potential to become a fantastic offensive player within a couple of years.

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

OK, I don't know much about Gomez, so I looked him up. His batting average (against MINOR LEAGUE pitching) is lower than Coco's (against Major League pitching), his OBP is similar, HR's is nearly identical, SB% favors Coco slightly. All of this, plus Coco is a Big Leaguer RIGHT NOW!!, and will be for a while (he just turned 28).