johan santana

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by tirk, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

My bad, I was looking at the Sporting News list (instead of Baseball America)

But on your list, let's not forget te truly amazing pitching career Ankeil has had so far. And while Baldelli isn't exactly a bust, he's nothing special.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Cubs were 5 outs from it in '03. I think they sniffed it from there.
    Dodgers are another example of spending money on the wrong guys. Like a one armed closer (the wrong arm at that).

3. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

Ankiel was dominant until he lost his mind, and who could have seen that coming. He's also projected to be the starting center fielder in St. Louis this year--unless Colby Rasmus is called up, in which case Ankiel would play right field.

Baldelli is tough to guage because of all the injuries. He's played well when healthy, but those days are few and far between. He could have been special.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

So what you're saying is: He didn't pan out.

Here's a hint, if he ain't on the field, he ain't holding up his end of the bargain.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

votto is a masher and is most proven among the group. bailey has control issues and may have half a season at most above double-a (although Im a believer) as well as the other 2 in cueto and bruce.

none were in triple-a til the end of last season minus votto i believe plus they desperately need some arms.

knowing how dusty baker loves washed-up veterans and looks down upon young prospects, I dont see the thinking behind the hire.

ding ding. you beat me to it. the sox finally realized to beat em you must join em.

the billy beanes can have the most cost-effective teams and finish 5th best every year. that doesnt amount to world championships.

the only team that he's beaten in a postseason series (when it matters) is none other than another no-spending team; the twins.

this implies you would rather pay 12 billion to an injured player. Sabanfan can help you later if need be.

6. Lil Jules

What I'm saying is that the award has been an good indicator of whether a player has the ability to succeed at the major league level. It would be foolish to expect its winner to be immune from injury. Injuries are just a part of the game.

My contention is that Bruce will be a great MLB player. However, if he tears up his knee or blows out an elbow his career may not reach its immense potential. There's no way to predict that--especially with position players. Pitchers are a little different because you can usually tell if a certain delivery will lead to future injuries (most experts were certain Liriano would be very susceptible to injury).

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

i understood that.

But I proofread as often as I give a serious response.

I also fully realize when their/there/theyre is supposed to be used but I bet I have misused it over fifty percent of the times on here.

8. Lil Jules

I'm pretty sure Bailey and Votto both had experience in AAA prior to last season (Bailey even saw some time in the show). I'm not as high on Bailey as most people, and I think Cueto will prove to be the better of the two. Bruce is an animal. He shot up the ranks at an incredible pace (even outperforming Votto in AAA once he got there). He does need to gain a little more plate discipline however.

Edit: Bailey didn't start AAA till '07, but did throw 45 innings in the show.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Yeah, but when it happens to the same guy on a regular basis (Baldelli, Griffey, J.D. Drew, Gagne), sinking money into them, and banking your future on them, is not a wise move.

He may be a great player one day. Only time will tell. But the Twins move was still dumb. They essentially took the following attitude: "We have a chance to contend, right now (and for a few more years) if we re-sign Santana and either keep Hunter, or get a suitable (i.e. big league experienced) CF. But instead of doing that, we're gonna shoot for a .500 record (if we're lucky) and hopefully, 2-3 years from now, we'll tease the fans for a year or two, then trade away Morneau and Mauer and rebuild again."

10. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I am not convinced that Santana is going to remain as dominant as he has been.

After watching him last year, he seemed to have lost some of the movement on his off speed stuff that made him so effective.

I think he is good for 15 wins this year but not much more.
    But that might be all the Mets need to win the NL East at about 93 games.
    The Braves should win about 90 with their current roster.
    Should be interesting.