johan santana

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by tirk, Jan 29, 2008.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

to mets?

if this holds, what a joke the twins become losing johan for average prospects.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Unreal. I'm sure Boston had some crap prospects they could have dealt. Taking Jon Lester off the table apparently broke the deal, but I'm sure they something they could have offered to equal/beat the Mets deal.

3. tirk

you give ellsbury if sox or hughes if yanks.

i dont understand the thinking of these clubs sometimes. sure they may be great but odds are they will be good and nothing close to the best current ace.

astros had no one to offer.

4. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

Carlos Gomez is hardly an average prospect. He's one of the fastest players in baseball and is projected to be very similar to Carl Crawford once the power develops.

5. tirk

yes but gomez has the plate discipline of dante bichette. of course i was understating the prospects talents but they are simply prospects.

Deolis Guerra is legit as well but what year will he make his way to significance? 2010?

6. Lil Jules

Sadly, that's the only way for markets like Minnesota to compete. You get these cheap, highly touted prospects for seven years in some cases, and you cross your fingers that they reach their potential. You mentioned Guerra, but Humber is a fairly highly regarded pitching prospect as well. IMO this is a better deal that the Ellsbury based deal that Boston was offering.

7. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

WAY TO GO, METS !!

I would have bet my last nickel that the Mets would NEVER get Johann Santana.

8. clair

clair Rockets

the fact that the Twins didn't wait until the deadline and absolutely murder someone's farm system explains a lot about how poor management up there is.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

That's nowhere near as true as it's made out to be. Teams Like Boston, the Yanks, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, all pay pretty big amounts to the luxury tax. All the small market clubs get that money.
    Example, a couple years ago, the Marlins got $30mil in luxury tax money, plus $30 mil from revenue sharing.

$60 mil before any ticket sales, sponsors ads, apparel, anything. Yet their payroll was only $15 mil. They received FOUR TIMES that amount for FREE!!!!!

10. Lil Jules

It's every bit as true as everyone makes it out. Of course they get money, but it's nowhere near enough to level the playing field.

Teams like Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Oakland, etc. can't go out and sign big name free agents (if they did, they'd have to field a bunch of scrubs to go play with them). Every time one of Oakland's prospects actually turns out to be good, they have to trade him away near the end of his contract so that they can get something in return instead of watching him leave in free agency.

IMO the Twins made a good deal. The Mets offer was better than what the Yankees and Red Sox were willing to give. They got all of the Mets' top prospects except Fernando Martinez and Mike Pelfry. Not only that, but they're prospects that fit the Twins style of play (several good pitchers and a fast, great defensive outfielder). It's impossible to get equal talent in return for Santana, but they've got 3 good young arms and a replacement for Tori Hunter. Not bad.