Joe Paterno fired by Board of Trustees

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Nov 9, 2011.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

One can certainly disagree with long-time posters. It's a discussion board, and disagreement is a big part of any discussion.

2. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Disagree yes, getting into name calling will get you nowhere. You lose any and all credibility or acceptance. I tread lightly and know when to bow out gracefully.

3. southerntgr

southerntgr Veteran Member

I didn't realize this was a democracy or popularity contest. On a different note can someone tell me why he is a legend? He has not won a NCG since 1986. In the SEC world he would have been fired a long time ago.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Is not. :grin:

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nobody gets banned for arguing with old-timers. Nobody gets banned for making lame posts. But . . . people can get right in a new guys face when he starts trying to make the rules and invoking "we" as if he speaks for anyone but himself.

6. CaseyLSU

CaseyLSU Founding Member

Kudos to the Board of Trustees for having the stones to do what was right and not let Joe Pa go out on his own terms. Everyone connected to this should go.

I've read the Grand Jury report. It's stomach-turning. And for those men to try to sweep all of it (from 1998 on) under the rug to protect the university is a huge morality fail.

Everyone keeps talking about the "black day for college football." Football be damned, those victims have been living through black *years* because no one fought for them.

This coverup is *massive*. I believe what we are hearing now is only the tip of the iceburg as far as Sandusky is concerned. I also believe there will be more victims. Joe Pa may have *technically* done the right thing by reporting what he knew to his "superior" (though if we're honest, we can admit that Joe Pa was the most powerful guy on that staff) but when he realized that nothing was being done about the allegation (they didn't even care enough to find out the identity of the boy), he should have pressed the issue. Maybe he didn't realize the magnitude of the situation, but to turn a blind eye is shameful.

And what about Sandusky's wife??? The guy had an outfitted room in his basement where these boys stayed, and got hotel rooms for them in which he also stayed. How did she not suspect anything and file some sort of report? Seems very odd.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Joe Paterno's firing was only decision Penn State Nittany Lions could make - ESPN

Best article written on the matter.

"Paterno was fired because he failed miserably while making the biggest decision of his life.

Told by a graduate assistant in 2002 that former Nittany Lions defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky had sexually assaulted a boy, believed to be 10 years old, in the showers of Penn State's football complex, Paterno did nothing more than inform athletics director Tim Curley and university vice president Gary Schultz of the allegations. Paterno never personally called police. His son, Scott Paterno, told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Wednesday that his father never even asked Sandusky -- his assistant coach for three decades and who was once considered his heir apparent -- about the incident."

8. islstl

He talks here about the incredible audacity of this man.

"Paterno, 84, had tried to strong-arm Penn State officials one last time Wednesday morning, announcing that he would retire at the end of the season. Paterno, who had coached the Nittany Lions since 1950 and worked as their head coach since 1966, was bound and determined to go out under his own terms.

In a statement released by his family on Wednesday morning, Paterno said he would finally step aside after coaching the No. 12 Nittany Lions in their last three-regular season games and then potentially in the Big Ten championship game and a postseason bowl game. Paterno, who guided the Nittany Lions to two national championships, wanted one more shot at a title.

"At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status," Paterno said in the statement. "They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

The easiest and best decision for Penn State would have been for Paterno to retire immediately on his own. Instead, Paterno ignored the greater good of the university he professed to love -- and more importantly the well being of the eight known victims and their families -- by selfishly trying to coach the Nittany Lions in a few more games."

9. islstl

It is far beyond a morality fail most likely.

If there were more kids molested AFTER the known incident (chances are great this is indeed the case), then it's very much a legal case against everyone involved.

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

When McQueary witnessed the 2002 incident, he said Sandusky and the child noticed him (at least briefly). While most of feel like we would've intervened rather than run away and call our dad for advice (like McQueary did), studies have shown that the average person does not intervene as much as we'd expect.

McQueary's dad advised him to immediately come home yet no calls were made to the police that night. To me, the dad is another person that should be heavily scrutinized. Perhaps he (and McQueary) being involved in the program for so long knew that Paterno handled everything internally. Perhaps there have been many other incidents reagarding players swept under the rug without police or public knowledge over the years.