January 6

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

You’re right Kiki you don’t accept and facts contrary to what you want. To your point about the fact that Facebook and especially Twitter are biased.... I agree with you. They are biased as is most of the media.
    HOWEVER the Bill of Rights was meant to restrain the power of government in muzzling private speech. I assume even you admit Facebook and Twitter are private companies not arms of the government. How do you propose to restrain their speech without violating the 1st amendment? Open that door and get ready for it to happen to Fox or OAN or whatever the right wing flavor of the day is. Let the government muzzle one side’s speech and no speech is free.
    You want to stop Facebook and Twitter quit using them an build better forum. It’s called the FREE MARKET you’re supposed to venerate.

2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

You are a sniper debater. Who said to muzzle Facebook and Twitter? They are the muzzlers. Either you don't know or wont admit the new platforms such as Gab and Parler can be shutdown by Google. Youtube will muzzle certain videos. Free speech on the internet is controlled and you know it. Google, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter own and DICTATE (as in Dictator) what we can see and hear there. So how is this free speech on the internet. Quit playing these silly games. Everyone knows the left is shutting down free speech everywhere they have control.

Again what planet are you living on?

shane0911 likes this.
  3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Again I don’t deny what you’re saying about the FANG group. My question is what do you think can be done? Are you calling for some sort of government action to stop it? What do you suggest? If you don’t have an answer you’re just howling at the moon.

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

BTW I do have several possible solutions. First file antitrust lawsuits and break them up. There’s a long history of breaking monopolies this way.
    Second force them to get specific written permission to gather, store and use personal data. I don’t mean the blanket use that is common now but individual rights waiver documents specifically signed as a separate item from the basic boilerplate.
    There are other means as well.
    Frankly the gathering and use of our personal data is a frightening issue for everyone. Right now it’s practically unavoidable in today’s internet and commercial environment. We need better protection but having a government entity watching over and making decisions on what can and can’t be gathered, posted or shared or whatever is the worst possible outcome.

5. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

I started drawing my military retirement when I was 39.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Thanks for your service

Buzz69 likes this.
  7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

That's impressive. Was talking about social security. Most people will die before they get what they put in and some will die before the can collect one cent.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

How about not take competeing platforms like Gab and Parler off the internet like they did and trying to do. I am the last guy who wants government to rule anything. However monopolies like Standard Oil had to be broken up just as this unholy internet monopoly has to be broken up. In both cases government has role.

Freedom of speech is the 1st amendment for a reason. The internet is has become a major platform for this basic American right. Yes the government does have role in gauranteeing free speech for everyone even vile and offensive speech. Government however should not govern what the limits of free speech should be. Google is the biggest villain.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  9. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

I'm just gonna say ..... if Conservatives REALLY wanted to end censorship, there is enough money in the Conservative Ranks to create their own server farms to house conservative leaning internet sites. I don't see that happening. Amazom, Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc only have a monopoly because nobody is stepping up to challenge them. Those platforms didn't become the power houses they are overnight. Twitter almost went under, and if not for Trump becoming President and increasing its traffic, it would have gone under.

OF course .. in order for such to be successful ... Conservative PEOPLE are going to have to drop facebook, twitter, etc. and boycott their advertisers. I just don't see that happening. Conservatives are too meek.

shane0911 and Winston1 like this.
  10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

You may be right which is sad

shane0911 likes this.