Jamarus Russell off to a great start: not really

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Mar 16, 2010.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Yeah, Brady Quinn gives 100% and he still isn't any good! :grin:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This much is true

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

id still prefer quinn to be a lsu alum in place of jr.

4. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Right now he would be lucky to make league minimum. If he wants a shot back in the NFL he better take it if someone actually does offer.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

that's a pretty big if.

7. LEGACY TIGER

Yes it is, sad but true though. Here's a little different perspective on the whole JR thing. This is not going to be about that he isn't to blame for his situation, but rather a thought about how he really never had a chance. JR was a very talented QB at LSU, was he overall 1st round material worth 40 mil, I don't think so, but that isn't the point I want to make. Most of the super successful QB's in the NFL have the opportunity to sit behind a falling star QB, a QB that has the experience and is a veteran, designed to teach an up and coming prospect. Unfortunately though, in this get it done and get it done now NFL league, JR never was afforded that luxury. He was pushed into taking over a poorly run, lack of talent team. He was forced to play for a coach that didn't want him, so Kiffin never really tutored him to be successful, then Cable comes in and the perception is already established so he does the same thing.

Could it be a question of what came first, JR's lack of concern, lack of drive, failure to grasp and failure to mature, or was it he felt he was in a no win situation so he just gave up. None of this is to say that JR is not to blame for his own demise, but rather a thought about how in comparison to some of the most successful QB's in the NFL he was never given that chance. Of course JR is to blame for his situation, but there could be other factors that aided in guiding him down a path of self destruction that he decided to take rather than live up to the expectations that were bestowed upon him.

He has a long road ahead of him to try and shed the perception of being over hyped, over paid, lazy, uncaring and unconcerned, and a Bust. Not really sure that only having the opportunity to be in the NFL for 3 seasons and starting 25 games is a large enough sample to really label him a bust. Especially since there really hasn't been a talent pool around him to give him any sort of learning curve, but unfortunately for him the picture is already painted. I always liked JR and only hope the best for him. Maybe he will get a shot, and maybe he will prove that he really is worth the opportunity to play in the NFL. I won't be holding my breath, because he hasn't done anything to prove that he actually will change. As an LSU fan, and JR being an LSU alum one can only hope that the kid learns from this, moves on, gets the opportunity to prove himself, and then actually does.:dis:

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Most everyone agrees that the coaching turnover and lack of talent in oakland ensured he would not succeed, but his own personal failure to be professional and at least try to earn his pay is going to be the deciding factor in his future. He could have played out his contract or demand to be traded and somebody would have wanted him. I suppose someone could take a chance on him but it would mean a life change had taken place. What's his motivation now if he never had it in oakland? Would love to be wrong and see him make it, but his lack of desire tells me he won't.

9. LEGACY TIGER

I don't disagree with this at all, it is actually my real thought. I was just trying to paint a possible scenario that might open a door or 2 for him. Maybe there could be an NFL team that gives him a chance based on the thinking that it wasn't all his fault. I doubt it, but it could happen.

10. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Really??

So you miss all the inconsistent play from Russell? Him not being able to read a defense? Him locking on 1 receiver every play resulting in many INT's?

And as i recall, most fans calling for Flynn because of JR's poor play.

Well that is your right to do so.