Is the torch passed from Kobe to King James?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Jan 13, 2009.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Your argument is valid in the sense of comparing stats, but you know as well as I do that stats dont tell the story on the court all the time. Elton Brand average 20 and 12 for ever with the Clippers. Id take Rasheed Wallace over Elton Brand any day of the week.

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I don't normally watch pro basketball, and understand it is the context of only one game, but when they played each other this past weekend, James' shot was pathetic. Supposedly he "reconstructed it" this summer.

He needs to go back to the drawing board. He couldn't hit water if he were standing in a boat. He still looks great/strong driving to the basket, and of course he can pass - because he is terrified of shooting.

He should have played football. This guy has been hyped off the planet but has yet to deliver.

3. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

It also ignores the style of offense played. Lebron plays in an offense where it always runs through him. Most of his assists are dribble, drive, and dish. Mo Williams is the point guard, but Lebron usually brings the ball up the floor. He's the point guard on that team. If he had better shooters around him in previous years, he could've already averaged 10 assists because he has the ball that much. Mo Williams is the most reliable offensive player Lebron has had.

Kobe has played in the triangle the majority of his career. His points are high because, like MJ did, he ditches the triangle often because he can get his own shot anytime he wants. The triangle was never intended for one player to score the bulk of the points. It's meant for the guy with the best shot to get the ball in the best position to score. You'll rarely see one player average 10+ assist in the triangle (don't think it's ever happened for Lakers or Bulls), but it's common to see all 5 starters average at least 2-3 per game.

Kobe has the kind of skill that could thrive in any offense. Lebron couldn't play the triangle effectively right away. His shot is not good enough.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think this sums it up nicely.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Sooner or later we will acknowledge that there are two ends to a basketball court.

One player is more consistent with his play than the other. The other does however always pin a layup which makes sportsenter and confuses the people that do not watch games.

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Thank you voice of reason.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

And the battle rages on.

Good thread. Wish I woulda thought of it.

8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I dont like Kobe. I think hes a f'n douche nugget but he is better than Lebron right now. Kobe has the complete game, Lebron has a ways to go.

9. clair

clair Rockets

Bump.

Told you all this was not a valid thread just yet. :)

10. clair

clair Rockets

playing golf in mid-june is the only thing Lebron is doing that Kobe can't do often.